11 January 2008
The Kenya Red Cross Society and local partners start distributing food assistance today from the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and the Government of Kenya to tens of thousands of people in the Nairobi slums hardest-hit after days of post-election violence.
4 January 2008
Amid international concern about soaring food and fuel costs, the Executive Director of the World Food Programme, Josette Sheeran, will visit Ethiopia from 1-2 April – a year after her inaugural visit in April 2007 – and Kenya from 2-3 April.
13 November 2007
Three United Nations agencies have praised the international community for its support to help turn around a devastating malnutrition crisis in northern Kenya’s Dadaab and Kakuma refugee camps.
29 October 2007
Philanthropist and environmentalist Howard G. Buffett will be appointed today as the UN World Food Programme’s newest Ambassador Against Hunger.
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
5 October 2007
On Sunday, 13 May 2007, hundreds of thousands of people worldwide will walk together over a 24-hour period in each of the planet’s time zones, to deliver a message: child hunger has no place in this world and citizens across the globe can put an end to it.
5 September 2007
American actress Drew Barrymore, one of the world’s most recognised film stars, has been named Ambassador Against Hunger for WFP.
22 June 2007
WFP today appealed to Kenyan authorities to allow food assistance on 140 trucks to cross into Somalia.
31 May 2007
WFP welcomes US government contributions in May totaling $32.4 million to feed people confronting critical humanitarian situations ranging from severe drought to conflict in Kenya, Chad, the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Zimbabwe and Colombia.
- Food shortage crisis in Dadaab refugee camp Source: ABC News (Australia)
- Data drip: 'Smart' handpumps send signal that water has run out Source: The Guardian
- Kenya: Floods displace thousands, destroy crops Source: IRIN
- Insurance helps Kenya's herders protect against drought Source: CNN
- Mother Rescued From Slide Into Severe Malnutrition Source: Footcircles
- 6 February 2014 Hungry Planet Episode 33
- 20 January 2014 WFP Assists People Fleeing South Sudan Conflict
- 7 January 2014 Hungry Planet Episode 32
- 10 October 2013 Somali Refugees Get Access To Fresh Fruit And Vegetables