14 October 2005
The release of the hijacked MV Miltzow – after being held for 32 hours – was welcomed today by WFP, which can now proceed with delivering the cargo of relief food to 78,000 drought-stricken people in southern Somalia.
28 September 2005
WFP confirmed today that the hijackers of a WFP-chartered ship seized three months ago had broken an agreement to release the vessel.
23 September 2005
WFP today declared null and void all agreements with Somalia’s Transitional Federal Government (TFG) and community leaders to end the hijack of a Kenyan-owned vessel off the coast of Somalia.
14 September 2005
13 September 2005
WFP and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) appealed today for a total of US$29 million to assist 1.2 million people in Kenya struggling with critical food shortages, limited agricultural support, and shortages of basic health care and drinking water caused by drought and extreme poverty.
1 September 2005
Nairobi With the momentous signing today of a peace accord which brings to an end one of Africa\'s longest and bloodiest wars, WFP launches a US$302 million emergency appeal to feed 3.2 million Sudanese.
19 August 2005
14 August 2005
Barcelona Soccer\'s reigning World Player of the Year Ronaldinho, the charismatic Brazilian renowned for his smile and his ability to score jaw-dropping goals, is to use his global celebrity to help WFP in its fight against child hunger, the agency announces.
8 August 2005
Nairobi - WFP announces an agreement with community leaders and Somalia\'s Transitional Federal Government (TFG) to allow the release of a hijacked ship, its 10-member crew and its cargo of WFP food aid within days.
28 June 2005
Geneva- With refugee numbers in Kenya failing to decline despite steps toward peace in Somalia and Sudan, WFP appeals for US$6.7 million to feed nearly a quarter of a million refugees in two northern Kenya camps until the end of 2005.
- Food shortage crisis in Dadaab refugee camp Source: ABC News (Australia)
- Data drip: 'Smart' handpumps send signal that water has run out Source: The Guardian
- Kenya: Floods displace thousands, destroy crops Source: IRIN
- Insurance helps Kenya's herders protect against drought Source: CNN
- Mother Rescued From Slide Into Severe Malnutrition Source: Footcircles
- 6 February 2014 Hungry Planet Episode 33
- 20 January 2014 WFP Assists People Fleeing South Sudan Conflict
- 7 January 2014 Hungry Planet Episode 32
- 10 October 2013 Somali Refugees Get Access To Fresh Fruit And Vegetables