19 November 2009
Spain is doubling its 2009 contribution to WFP to support the agency’s efforts to provide urgent food assistance to 20 million people in the Horn of Africa, where erratic rains, conflict and stubbornly high food prices have produced a prolonged hunger crisis.
18 November 2009
Erratic rains, conflict and stubbornly high food prices are exacerbating hunger across the countries of the Horn of Africa. WFP is aiming to feed some 20 million people in the coming months.
27 October 2009
Seasonal rain has brought some relief to drought-stricken areas but it will be months before the harvest comes. Almost four million people are depending on WFP help to stave off hunger.
16 September 2009
Mary Muthohi is among the 3.8 million Kenyans who are facing the bruising effects of drought. Yesterday she had to borrow food from her neighbour to feed her five children. The whole family had not eaten at all the day before. Watch video
16 September 2009
There are more hungry people in the world today than ever before. In many developing countries the poor cannot afford to buy food. At the same time, economic woes mean that many rich countries have cut back on funding for food assistance. It's a recipe for disaster.
15 September 2009
In Kenya, where drought and high food prices have pushed almost 4 million into the hunger trap, WFP is preparing to reduce rations in October.
11 September 2009
In Kenya’s Rift Valley, crops have failed and people are lucky if they eat even one meal a day. Many now face a choice between migrating to urban slums in search of food and work or staying put and breaking stones to earn enough to survive.
3 September 2009
As teenagers around the world think glumly about the return to school, there’s one in Kenya who sees her return as a triumph. And it is. After being raised in the world’s largest refugee camp, Fatuma Omar beat the odds to win a scholarship to Nairobi’s best girls’ school. Watch video
25 August 2009
Kenya’s drought has forced herders to roam further and further with their animals in search of pasture. Cattle are dying, pushing pastoralist communities into hunger and swelling the numbers of Kenyans needing food assistance. Read News Release
12 August 2009
Somali refugees living in northern Kenya are starting small businesses thanks to an income generation initiative launched by WFP and CARE International.
- Food shortage crisis in Dadaab refugee camp Source: ABC News (Australia)
- Data drip: 'Smart' handpumps send signal that water has run out Source: The Guardian
- Kenya: Floods displace thousands, destroy crops Source: IRIN
- Insurance helps Kenya's herders protect against drought Source: CNN
- Mother Rescued From Slide Into Severe Malnutrition Source: Footcircles
- 20 February 2015 Royal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Supports Refugees In Kenya
- 23 October 2014 In Kenya Cash Is Boosting Food Security
- 16 October 2014 More Than Food: Boosting Education In Kenya
- 6 February 2014 Hungry Planet Episode 33