19 June 2009
WFP has for the first time bought food from small scale farmers in Kenya, acquiring food for drought-hit Kenyans elsewhere in the country while at the same time encouraging small farmers to think more about markets.
18 June 2009
Habib Omar is one of the 14.5 million refugees and displaced people worldwide relying on WFP for food. To mark World Refugee Day (June 20) we took a look at the life of Habib and other Somali refugees in the sprawling Dadaab refugee camp in Kenya.
9 June 2009
Millions of people in the Horn of Africa face a deadly mix of persistent drought, poor seasonal rains, conflict and stubbornly high food costs. At the same time, the global financial crisis is threatening to exacerbate levels of hunger and desperation across the region.
14 April 2009
The high-profile hijacking of US ship Maersk Alabama by Somali pirates has thrown a spotlight onto the fragile food lifeline supporting WFP’s operations to feed millions of hungry people in the Horn of Africa.
31 March 2009
As WFP scales up general food distributions in Kenya, it is also using food to help poor farmers become less vulnerable to hunger in future. Veronica Kakuma built a water-conserving ‘bund’ and now has a sorghum crop she didn’t have before.
19 March 2009
In Kenya, many children are facing a choice: go to school – or work to feed themselves and their families. WFP’s new school feeding programmes mean that some youngsters no longer need to miss out on an education in order to eat.
18 March 2009
3 March 2009
Paul Tergat, who as a child ate free school lunches provided by WFP, has notched up another important marathon victory with a win at the 64th Lake Biwa Marathon in Japan.
27 February 2009
Like almost all workers, staff in the hospital at Ifo refugee camp amid the semi-desert of northeastern Kenya have their good and their bad days. But in the fight against child malnutrition, they say the good outnumber the bad.
17 February 2009
- Food shortage crisis in Dadaab refugee camp Source: ABC News (Australia)
- Data drip: 'Smart' handpumps send signal that water has run out Source: The Guardian
- Kenya: Floods displace thousands, destroy crops Source: IRIN
- Insurance helps Kenya's herders protect against drought Source: CNN
- Mother Rescued From Slide Into Severe Malnutrition Source: Footcircles
- 6 February 2014 Hungry Planet Episode 33
- 20 January 2014 WFP Assists People Fleeing South Sudan Conflict
- 7 January 2014 Hungry Planet Episode 32
- 10 October 2013 Somali Refugees Get Access To Fresh Fruit And Vegetables