23 May 2014
SEOUL – The Executive Director of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), Ertharin Cousin, today concluded a two-day mission to the Republic of Korea with a formal launch of the Zero Hunger Challenge in Seoul.
28 November 2013
ROME/PYONGYANG – A nationwide assessment by two United Nations agencies shows an increase in staple food production in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) for the third year running.
12 November 2012
ROME/PYONGYANG – A nationwide assessment by United Nations agencies estimates there has been an increase in staple food production in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) for the second year running. This, however, should not mask an ongoing struggle with undernutrition and a lack of vital protein and fat in the diet, especially for an estimated 2.8 million vulnerable people.
21 September 2011
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has begun the distribution of food funded by an 8.5 million euros donation from ECHO – the European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid Office – for its emergency operation to reach mainly young children and women threatened by rising malnutrition in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).
29 April 2011
ROME – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is launching an emergency food and nutrition operation to respond to urgent hunger needs among 3.5 million vulnerable people identified in a multi-agency food security survey that was completed in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) last month.
25 March 2011
NEW DELHI – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a generous donation of US$1 million from the Government of India for its operation to reach the most vulnerable children and their mothers in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).
17 November 2010
ROME - About five million people living in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) will continue to face food shortages despite a relatively good harvest and a slight increase in food supply, a joint report by FAO and WFP said today.
10 December 2008
Rome, 8 December 2008 - Around 40 percent of the population of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), an estimated 8.7 million people, mostly young children, pregnant and nursing women and the elderly, will urgently need food assistance because of an expected cereals deficit in the coming months, FAO and WFP said in a joint report today.
30 July 2008
Millions of people in DPRK are experiencing hunger not seen in almost a decade according to the findings of a new UN assessment in the east Asian country.
30 June 2008
WFP announced an agreement with the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea that paves the way for a rapid expansion of its food assistance to more than 5 million hungry people throughout the country.
- UN Appeals for $98 Million for North Korea Needs Source: The New York Times
- WFP official thanks Russia for supplying flour to DPR Korea Source: TASS
- Concern as severe weather hits North Korean crops Source: Reuters
- North Korea Famine Not Imminent but Flood Impact Not Yet Clear: U.N. Source: The New York Times / Reuters
- North Korea floods: Death toll raised, WFP sends food aid Source: BBC News
- Quarterly Monitoring And Evaluation Bulletin (Q4 2013): "Nutrition Support Programme For Children And Women In DPRK"
- DPR Korea: Performance Assessment Of WFP's 'Nutrition Support To Women And Children' Programme
- Performance Assessment of WFP's operation in DPR Korea "Nutrition Support to Women and Children (PRRO 200114)
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea - FAO/WFP Crop and Food Security Assessment Mission, November 2013