12 August 2013
Bouavone Phasouk runs a WFP office in a remote part of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic. She’s the only woman on her team, but doesn’t let that stop her from walking hours through the jungle or driving across dangerous provincial roads to get food to those who need it most.
31 July 2013
Both young and old came out to play at Lao Women's Union Day!
23 July 2013
The rainy season is in full swing in Lao PDR from May to September. For WFP, this is often the most difficult time of the year to reach villagers in remote areas due to poor road conditions, landslides and roads blocked by fallen trees. But even then, WFP continues to provide assistance to vulnerable people in need of food in hard-to-reach villages.
14 June 2013
There are three "Keys To Solving Hunger" -- what are they? The "first key" we unveiled was 'Nutrition'; the second, 'Safety Nets'. We're unveiling the last "key" through a short film this month - and we want you to discover it with us! And, to make the discovery more fun, by joining this trivia contest, one lucky winner will get a WFP The North Face Backpack. So get your pencil and paper at the ready and click play!
22 May 2013
A new road linking rural communities to a vital district centre has been completed thanks to a WFP food-for-work project in rural Laos. The project is part of WFP's Livelihood Initiatives for Nutrition (LIN) programme, designed to support remote communities in northern Laos with high rates of stunting (children too short for their age).
21 May 2013
There are three "Keys To Solving Hunger" -- what are they? The first key we unveiled last month was 'Nutrition'. What's the second key? We'll be unveiling a new "key" through a short film each month until June 2013 - and we want you to discover them with us! And, to make the discovery more fun, this time we're giving away two special WFP Tote Bags. So get your pencil and paper at the ready and click play!
29 March 2013
There are three "Keys To Solving Hunger" -- what are they? Each month between April and June 2013, we'll be unveiling a new "key" through a short film - and we want you to discover them with us! And, to make the discovery more fun, we're also giving away some limited edition WFP Moleskine notebooks. So get your pencil and paper at the ready and click play!
8 November 2012
Lao villagers have a special name for the last months of the rainy season, from August to October: Suang Khaad Khao Kin – the time when there is no more rice. While the new harvest is ripening in the fields, food stocks run low. Also called the ‘lean season’, this time is coming to an end for this year, but for close to 40,000 people in Khammuane province, central Laos, it would have been a lot tougher without help from WFP.
21 September 2012
WFP in Laos is expanding its successful Mother and Child Health and Nutrition Programme to a second province. Young children in the remote north of Laos simply love the food they receive through the programme: Plumpy’Doz is a specialised nutritious food that helps prevent malnutrition. In an area where 50 to 60 percent of children under the age of five are chronically malnourished, the peanut-based paste is key to keep children growing strong and healthy.
15 August 2012
A baby explains to his mum that breastmilk really is the only thing he needs during the first six months after birth. A child dances with different kinds of food, makes friends with them and becomes strong and healthy. A little boy watches with fascination as all the food his mum eats turns into breastmilk for his little sister. Did we catch your attention?
- As Laos prospers, child malnutrition persists Source: IRIN News
- WFP, USA explore new ways of fighting malnutrition in Laos Source: Shanghai Daily/ Xinhua
- Southeast Asia Suffers Worst Floods In More Than A Decade Source: Eurasia Review
- Jessica Watson to call Pittwater home Source: The Manly Daily (Australia)
- Jessica Watson Supports WFP School Meals In Laos Source: Reuters Alertnet
- Do School Feeding Programs Help Children?
- The WFP-World Bank IFPRI Three-Country Studies: Results and Evidence Based Learning from Impact Evaluation Studies School Feeding
- Laos CP 200242 (2012-2015): A mid-term Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference.
- Mapping of flood affected villages in Lao PDR summary report
- 19 November 2013 From Safe, Healthy Pregnancies To Healthy, Happy Children In Laos
- 6 September 2013 Food Assistance For Lao Farmers
- 9 November 2012 Laos: Giving A Healthy Start From The Very First Days Of Life