30 March 2011
Thousands of families in central and southern Laos will need both immediate and medium term assistance before the next rice harvest in October 2011. People who are already vulnerable to food insecurity after Typhoon Ketsana hit the region in 2009 were struck hard by a 2010 drought lasting throughout June and localized flash floods.
16 February 2011
In Lao PDR, chronic malnutrition remains one of the major challenges for development, affecting nearly 300,000 children under five years of age. In rural areas, every second child is not getting the chance to develop to their full potential. With an innovative project called Feeding the Future, WFP is taking nutrition education to remote villages, teaching young mothers and other care-givers the importance of a complete and diverse diet.
3 October 2009
WFP is providing emergency food assistance to families in southern Laos where Typhoon Ketsana – the same one that hit the Philippines on September 26 - has caused more severe floods, this time affecting some 250,000 people.
2 June 2009
Laos is on track to meet targets on primary school enrolment and reducing child mortality, but stronger action is needed on reducing hunger, according to the latest Millennium Development Goals report on the Asian country.
13 March 2009
Thirty million people assisted, 30 years of cooperation, US$30 million in donations - a photo exhibition held in Beijing offered a graphic chronicle of WFP's collaboration with the Chinese government in the fight against hunger and poverty.
21 September 2007
WFPhas welcomed a critical contribution from the Republic of Korea for WFP food assistance for the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR).
22 March 2007
The Hmong people live without running water and electricity in the isolated hills of Laos. WFP intern Anke Kampshreur went to see a road project which is paving the way to the outside world.
- As Laos prospers, child malnutrition persists Source: IRIN News
- WFP, USA explore new ways of fighting malnutrition in Laos Source: Shanghai Daily/ Xinhua
- Southeast Asia Suffers Worst Floods In More Than A Decade Source: Eurasia Review
- Jessica Watson to call Pittwater home Source: The Manly Daily (Australia)
- Jessica Watson Supports WFP School Meals In Laos Source: Reuters Alertnet
- 29 December 2014 Laos Primary School Students Draw What ‘Zero Hunger’ Means to Them
- 19 November 2013 From Safe, Healthy Pregnancies To Healthy, Happy Children In Laos
- 6 September 2013 Food Assistance For Lao Farmers
- 9 November 2012 Laos: Giving A Healthy Start From The Very First Days Of Life