1 July 2012
Laotian national Vadsana Sinthavong represented WFP at the Olympic Torch Relay in the UK on Sunday, carrying the Flame through the streets of Birmingham as it made its way to London to start the 2012 Olympic Games. Sinthavong was chosen to represent WFP from a large pool of candidates by WFP Executive Director Ertharin Cousin.
16 March 2012
Laos has some of the worst child malnutrition rates in the world – every second child under the age of five in rural areas is chronically malnourished, impacting their physical and mental development for a lifetime. Nutrition knowledge is central to tackle this problem, and WFP's innovative nutrition education programme - Feeding the Future - empowers communities throughout the country to improve their diets and ensure children grow up strong and healthy.
9 December 2011
A WFP-supported project to provide better HIV treatment and care in Lao PDR has received an award in recognition of excellent South-South Cooperation.
24 November 2011
Nutrition is at the heart of the new Country Programme for Lao PDR approved by the Executive Board of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in Rome during its Second Regular Session from 14 to 17 November 2011. The Country Programme details WFP’s projects to fight malnutrition in Lao PDR in the years 2012 to 2015. Read more
10 October 2011
Many people in northern Lao PDR still face difficulties feeding their families throughout the year. WFP is currently supporting people in Oudomxay province through a Cash-for-Assets project to improve their food security and diversify their nutrition in the long term. These projects were recently completed, but the benefits are just starting to flow in.
30 August 2011
Many women in remote parts of northern Laos wouldn't normally go for health checks, even when they are pregnant. But now, thanks to the food rations WFP is offering as part of a Mother and Child Health and Nutrition project, many more are attending the health centres and getting important health care for themselves and their babies.
30 March 2011
Thousands of families in central and southern Laos will need both immediate and medium term assistance before the next rice harvest in October 2011. People who are already vulnerable to food insecurity after Typhoon Ketsana hit the region in 2009 were struck hard by a 2010 drought lasting throughout June and localized flash floods.
16 February 2011
In Lao PDR, chronic malnutrition remains one of the major challenges for development, affecting nearly 300,000 children under five years of age. In rural areas, every second child is not getting the chance to develop to their full potential. With an innovative project called Feeding the Future, WFP is taking nutrition education to remote villages, teaching young mothers and other care-givers the importance of a complete and diverse diet.
3 October 2009
WFP is providing emergency food assistance to families in southern Laos where Typhoon Ketsana – the same one that hit the Philippines on September 26 - has caused more severe floods, this time affecting some 250,000 people.
2 June 2009
Laos is on track to meet targets on primary school enrolment and reducing child mortality, but stronger action is needed on reducing hunger, according to the latest Millennium Development Goals report on the Asian country.
- As Laos prospers, child malnutrition persists Source: IRIN News
- WFP, USA explore new ways of fighting malnutrition in Laos Source: Shanghai Daily/ Xinhua
- Southeast Asia Suffers Worst Floods In More Than A Decade Source: Eurasia Review
- Jessica Watson to call Pittwater home Source: The Manly Daily (Australia)
- Jessica Watson Supports WFP School Meals In Laos Source: Reuters Alertnet
- Do School Feeding Programs Help Children?
- The WFP-World Bank IFPRI Three-Country Studies: Results and Evidence Based Learning from Impact Evaluation Studies School Feeding
- Laos CP 200242 (2012-2015): A mid-term Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference.
- Mapping of flood affected villages in Lao PDR summary report
- 19 November 2013 From Safe, Healthy Pregnancies To Healthy, Happy Children In Laos
- 6 September 2013 Food Assistance For Lao Farmers
- 9 November 2012 Laos: Giving A Healthy Start From The Very First Days Of Life