5 January 2011
When tensions flared over the disputed presidential elections last month in Côte d'Ivoire, Peula Rachele, 31, and her four children fled across the border into neighbouring Liberia. WFP has launched an emergency operation to supply them and thousands of other refugees with nutritious food rations.
5 August 2009
ROME – During her tour of Africa, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visited four countries – Kenya, Democratic Republic of Congo, Liberia and Cape Verde -- where the World Food Programme is working to address urgent hunger needs and improve the lives of people struggling to meet their daily nutritional requirements.
Below is a brief summary of WFP’s activities in each of these four nations:
1 August 2007
WFP thanked Japan for a generous US$26 million donation from the Government of Japan to assist millions of vulnerable people affected by conflict and natural disasters in seven countries, mainly in Africa.
25 May 2007
WFP has welcomed a €500,000 contribution from the European Commission Humanitarian Aid department, ECHO, for the agency’s vital air service in support of its operations in Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone and Cote d’Ivoire.
27 February 2007
The Government of Japan announced today a major contribution of US$20.8 million (JPY2.52 billion) to WFP which will assist millions of vulnerable and chronically food insecure people in 13 countries spread throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America.
8 December 2006
WFP helped feed victims throughout Sierra Leone's long-running civil war and it is contributing to recovery. Hilary Heuler looks at WFP operations in this west African country.
19 May 2006
In a global effort to eradicate hunger, WFP has called on people in well over one hundred countries to take to the streets and “Fight Hunger: Walk the World” on Sunday 21 May.
28 October 2005
- One Planet: Bananas and the global food chain Source: BBC
- The Liberian Dialogue: WFP gives “ownership” to education ministry: other partners to follow Source: The Liberian Dialogue
- LIBERIA-COTE D'IVOIRE: Refugees look for long-term solutions Source: IRIN
- Liberia's President Sirleaf: 'We've made progress but there's much more to do' Source: The Guardian
- Liberia: 'Much More to Do', Says Johnson Sirleaf Source: All Africa
- 17 September 2014 On The Ground In Liberia: Life In Ebola Quarantine -- In Pictures
- 3 September 2014 Ebola: How WFP Is Responding In Liberia
- 28 August 2014 WFP Scales Up Its Response To Ebola Outbreak In West Africa