4 April 2011
The old woman sat cross-legged on a gold and black rug, an attempt to make the tent in the middle of the barren wilderness where she and her family had ended up seem a little bit more like home.(..)The UN's World Food Programme has started distributing aid, but almost all its foreign staff are stationed in Benghazi, due to the lack of safety away from the capital of the rebel government.
31 March 2011
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) has called on the region's companies to provide US$20 million (Dh73.4m) in aid to feed the poor affected by unrest in Libya, Egypt and Tunisia. At a discussion organised by PepsiCo in Dubai, the WFP country director for Egypt, Gianpietro Bordignon, said the agency needed $49m to help battle hunger in North Africa but had only $29m.(..)"We go in and do an assessment to see who's got the greatest need," said Monica Marshall, the global head of private partnerships. "It's an initial situation because it's such a chaotic situation."
- EGYPT-LIBYA: Returnees struggle to survive Source: IRIN
- Libya: WFP provides 47,000 Libyan IDPs with food aid Source: Afrique En Ligne
- WFP delivering food aid to those fleeing Bani Walid Source: AFP
- WFP seeks 250,000 t diesel, not gasoline, for Libya Source: Reuters
- EU - Q/A: The European Commission’s humanitarian assistance in Libya Source: ISRIA
- 8 December 2011 Assessment mission to southern Libya
- 30 August 2011 WFP Responds To Urgent Humanitarian Needs In Libya
- 4 August 2011 WFP Delivers Food For Ramadan
- 17 June 2011 Getting Food To Conflict-Torn Libya