28 December 2005
Her Royal Highness Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein travels to Malawi on her first field visit as a Goodwill Ambassador for WFP to see first hand the impact of the food crisis there.
29 November 2005
Sex workers, truck drivers, storemen and port workers now all have access to information, counselling on HIV and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases where and when they need it most, thanks to an innovative new project
23 November 2005
As the “hungry season” between harvests in southern Africa moves into its harshest phase, WFP welcomes the latest generous American donation of food for the region’s most vulnerable people.
13 October 2005
13 October 2005
Speaking on the occasion of World Food Day on 16 October, the Executive Director of WFP, James Morris, said that by the end of the day 6,241,512 people will have already died of hunger and related diseases so far this year
30 September 2005
9 September 2005
31 August 2005
Soaring maize prices in several southern African countries are causing WFP serious concern as it struggles to provide food to the most needy people while faced with a huge funding shortfall.
18 August 2005
Brussels - WFP welcomes a cash donation of five million euros from Belgium which will allow the agency to provide urgently needed food to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Niger, Mali, South Sudan, Zimbabwe and Malawi.
15 August 2005
Johannesburg WFP applauds the United States for making an early and generous donation of more than US$50 million to the agency\'s feeding programmes in southern Africa where more than 10 million people are in urgent need of food assistance.
- Britain, WFP bail out million of Malawians from hunger Source: Nyasa Times
- Malawi must reassess its agricultural policies to break cycle of poverty – UN expert Source: UN News Centre
- Africa food crisis: UK pledges £35m to Malawi and Zimbabwe Source: BBC News
- Malawi- Angola: Food crises and response Source: IRIN
- Over 3.5 million people in drought-hit areas of Africa to receive food relief from UN Source: UN News Centre