8 February 2013
As the fighting escalates in Mali, thousands of people forced from their homes are struggling to survive in other parts of the country. Aissata Walet is one of them. Forced to rent a hut in Bamako which she shares with 30 other people, Aissata say she doesn’t know how she’d feed her children without assistance from WFP.
12 December 2012
29 October 2012
As families in the Sahel struggle to recover from this year’s hunger crisis, tens of millions of locusts threaten to swarm across the region devouring the new harvest. To ensure that doesn’t happen, WFP has airlifted insecticide to Mali and Chad in a joint operation with its sister agency, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization.
8 August 2012
15 July 2012
To assist the humanitarian community in its response to the Malian refugee crisis in Mauritania, WFP receives mobile storage facilities to house the necessary food to feed the growing number of refugees.
10 July 2012
The political unrest and widespread insecurity have made the northern regions of Mali inaccessible to major UN humanitarian organizations. However, WFP has been exploring all possible ways and transportation channels, partnering with various NGOs, to try to deliver food to vulnerable populations.
29 June 2012
For the third time in a decade, drought in the Sahel region of Africa is threatening millions of people with hunger. But how do people survive in these situations and what are we doing to help them? Here are the answers to eight questions about the current hunger crisis in the Sahel and WFP's response to it.
14 June 2012
For the first time in Mali, WFP has started cash-based food assistance - the most vulnerable will receive money that will help them buy food on the local market and prepare for the planting season.
9 June 2012
The US Ambassador in Mali visited WFP activities in the Kayes region of Mali, where around 300,000 people are at risk of food insecurity.
23 May 2012
WFP has launched an emergency operation to deliver life-saving food assistance to thousands of people fleeing conflict in Mali. As refugees stream into areas already strained by drought in the Sahel, it's imperative to reach them with assistance in time for the summer Hunger Season.
- Mali receives pledge of 520 million euros from EU Source: Euronews
- Mali: UN food agency ‘urgently working’ to aid communities despite insecurity Source: UN News Centre
- WFP grants food assistance to one million Malians Source: Afrique Jet
- Head of UN food aid agency urges support for Mali and entire Sahel region Source: UN News Centre
- Mali and Mauritania: War, Drought and School Meals Source: Yahoo! Voices
- 24 October 2013 WFP Brings Work And Nutrition To Bear On Hunger In Mali
- 15 October 2013 World Food Day 2013 (For The Media)
- 10 September 2013 Kids Head Back To School In Timbuktu