28 September 2009
In the first year of an exciting initiative funded mainly by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, 42,000 smallholder farmers all over the world have been involved in selling food to WFP through the 'Purchase For Progress' pilot programme.
4 November 2008
Rocky Oishi, winner of WFP's autumn staff story competition, describes what happens after he and other WFP team members are dispatched to develop rice fields in northern Mali. He talks about what he sees on the journey as he and the team head out to sites in Niafounke in the region of Timbuktu.
15 November 2007
In spite of previous devastating droughts and the advancing Sahara Desert, Timbuktu is green – thanks to a WFP reforestation projects. WFP’s spokesperson, Marcus Prior, accompanied Executive Director Josette Sheeran on a visit to the reclaimed land.
8 November 2007
The Executive Director of the World Food Programme, Josette Sheeran, will visit west Africa 12-16 November, to highlight the need for renewed attention on the region's ‘silent emergencies’.
19 September 2007
From West to East, some 1.5 million people have been caught in Africa's worst floods in decades. Use our quick guide to see how WFP is responding, region by region, country by country.
31 July 2007
The Honourable Josée Verner, Minister of International Cooperation and Minister for La Francophonie and Official Languages today announced that Canada will provide CAD$125 million to the WFP over the next five years for food programs for children in African schools.
30 March 2007
WFP has warmly welcomed Poland’s increased support for WFP in addition to its firm commitment to boost contributions towards the eradication of hunger and poverty around the world.
27 March 2007
The international community has difficulty relating to the chronic hunger prevalent in western Mali. The World Food Programme (WFP) is alone in helping the people, writes Lars Zbinden Hansen, in the Danish newspaper “Information”.
9 October 2006
WFP has welcomed a significant new donation of €5.6 million from the government of Luxembourg. With a total contribution this year of €9.6 million, Luxembourg is one of WFP’s most important donors in the fight against hunger.
29 June 2006
HIV/AIDS is aggravating chronic hunger in southern Africa and despite better harvests across the region, more than three million people will remain short of basic food supplies through to December.
- Mali receives pledge of 520 million euros from EU Source: Euronews
- Mali: UN food agency ‘urgently working’ to aid communities despite insecurity Source: UN News Centre
- WFP grants food assistance to one million Malians Source: Afrique Jet
- Head of UN food aid agency urges support for Mali and entire Sahel region Source: UN News Centre
- Mali and Mauritania: War, Drought and School Meals Source: Yahoo! Voices
- 3 February 2014 Canada And REACH Are Securing The Future Of Children And Women
- 24 January 2014 Mali: Displaced Families Empowered By Cash Transfers
- 24 October 2013 WFP Brings Work And Nutrition To Bear On Hunger In Mali