15 September 2011
In early September, WFP nutrition focal points and their government counterparts from 18 countries across West Africa gathered in Dakar for a four-day workshop.
27 July 2011
Pandemics and large-scale disasters pose specific challenges to humanitarian emergency operations, especially in urban areas. Through a recent one-week pandemic simulation, WFP aimed to prepare countries in West Africa to face these challenges so that they can better assist vulnerable populations.
28 June 2011
African pop duo Amadou and Mariam, who launched their new single Labendela in Rome on Monday, say their new role as Ambassadors Against Hunger for the EU allows them to be “flag-bearers” for the fight against hunger and poverty in countries such as their native Mali.
28 May 2010
Some 10 million people in the Sahel region of West-Central Africa risk going hungry as the summer lean season arrives on the heels of a long drought. WFP is stepping up operations in four countries of the Sahel, to ease the suffering of those hardest hit.
14 December 2009
With sand clogging the channels feeding Mali’s Lake Faguibine, the area dried up and local people slipped deeper into hunger. The answer was simple: unblock the channels. Thanks to food assistance supplied by WFP, local people were able to do it themselves. Watch video
5 December 2009
Smallholder farmers in developing countries would have much to gain from vibrant agricultural markets. How to foster the development of these markets and ensure poor farmers have access to them are the key questions on the table in Rome at the Purchase for Progress Annual Review Meeting on 8-10 December.
28 September 2009
In the first year of an exciting initiative funded mainly by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, 42,000 smallholder farmers all over the world have been involved in selling food to WFP through the 'Purchase For Progress' pilot programme.
4 November 2008
Rocky Oishi, winner of WFP's autumn staff story competition, describes what happens after he and other WFP team members are dispatched to develop rice fields in northern Mali. He talks about what he sees on the journey as he and the team head out to sites in Niafounke in the region of Timbuktu.
15 November 2007
In spite of previous devastating droughts and the advancing Sahara Desert, Timbuktu is green – thanks to a WFP reforestation projects. WFP’s spokesperson, Marcus Prior, accompanied Executive Director Josette Sheeran on a visit to the reclaimed land.
8 November 2007
The Executive Director of the World Food Programme, Josette Sheeran, will visit west Africa 12-16 November, to highlight the need for renewed attention on the region's ‘silent emergencies’.
- Mali receives pledge of 520 million euros from EU Source: Euronews
- Mali: UN food agency ‘urgently working’ to aid communities despite insecurity Source: UN News Centre
- WFP grants food assistance to one million Malians Source: Afrique Jet
- Head of UN food aid agency urges support for Mali and entire Sahel region Source: UN News Centre
- Mali and Mauritania: War, Drought and School Meals Source: Yahoo! Voices
- WFP Mali Situation Report #05, 23 December 2014
- WFP Mali Situation Report #04, 21 November 2014
- WFP Mali Situation Report #03, 01 October 2014
- FAO/WFP/UNICEF/WFP/WHO/DFATD Canada Joint Evaluation of Renewed Effort Against Child Hunger and Under-nutrition (REACH): A Strategic Evaluation. Terms of Reference
- 3 December 2014 Bamako, Mali: Turning Trash Into Cash