6 March 2014
ROME – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a contribution of US$1 million from the Sultanate of Oman to support food assistance programmes that will benefit people suffering the effects of drought and conflict in West Africa.
31 May 2013
NOUAKCHOTT- Tens of thousands of Malians living in Mauritania’s M’bera refugee camp will not be returning home in the near future and will rely on humanitarian assistance for many months to come, a new UN assessment mission concluded.
24 May 2012
NOUAKCHOTT – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has received a donation of 3 270 metric tons of rice and 60 metric tons of vegetable oil, worth almost US$5 million, from the United State’s Office of Food for Peace to feed Malians seeking refuge in Mauritania.
19 September 2011
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today received a Saudi donation of 202 metric tons of dates worth more than US$ 285, 000 to feed hungry families in Mauritania.
29 July 2008
WFP is expanding operations in West Africa to feed an additional 1.4 million people hard hit by high food prices in Guinea, Mauritania, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Burkina Faso and Senegal.
6 December 2007
The United Nations World Food Programme has thanked UAE Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, for a US$1 million donation for its school feeding programme in Mauritania.
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
28 September 2007
WFP has warned that floods in Mauritania are putting greater pressure on its dwindling food supplies for 470,000 people who are among the most food insecure in West Africa.
26 September 2007
WFP teams in many countries across Africa are delivering food to people hit by floods across the continent that are the worst in decades in some places. But WFP urgently needs new contributions to cope with the crisis.
- Mali and Mauritania: War, Drought and School Meals Source: Yahoo! Voices
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- The Market Monitor
- West Africa and the Sahel - Food Security and Humanitarian Implications, 2014
- WFPs Use of Pooled Funds for Humanitarian Preparedness and Response (2009 - 2013). Terms of Reference.
- Regional EMOP 200438 Assistance to Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Affected by Insecurity in Mali, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Niger (2012-2013): An Operation Evaluation