3 June 2007
As the hijacking of a WFP-chartered vessel off the coast of Somalia entered its tenth day, WFP urged for a swift end to the impasse, citing concerns for the welfare of the crew, as well as increasing difficulties in contracting additional ships to deliver urgent food aid to hungry people.
3 June 2007
WFP has warned that unless it received substantial new contributions for its operation in Mauritania, as many as 68,000 young children menaced by malnutrition will see their rations reduced or cut completely at the most critical time of the year.
14 May 2007
Yesterday saw hundreds of thousands of people in around 100 countries step out with WFP, to call for an end to child hunger.
19 September 2006
WFP has welcomed a cash donation of US$10 million from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to its operations in West Africa, where many of the poorest people in the world are living under trying conditions.
10 September 2006
As harvests roll in across West Africa’s Sahel, WFP has warned that although households are restocking their granaries, millions of children across the region remain threatened by malnutrition.
16 June 2006
WFP has urged the international community to reach into its pockets and fund its vital food aid operation so that the desert nation of Mauritania can pull through the most difficult months of the year.
16 May 2006
As household food stocks begin to run low across the Sahel region of West Africa, the United Nations World Food Programme today urged the international community to continue supporting programmes which mitigate the very worst effects of food shortages among the most vulnerable.
16 January 2006
WFP calls on the international community to rally strongly behind its efforts to tackle hunger and poverty in West Africa, the poorest region of the world.
27 October 2005
As the world focuses on a series of massive natural disasters and the spread of avian influenza, hunger in Africa has quietly climbed to an all-time high, threatening to destabilize much of the continent, warns James T. Morris, Executive Director of WFP.
17 August 2005
WFP steps up emergency distributions of food in Mauritania, including to 6,300 people suffering from serious food shortages in parts of the remote Hodh Chargui region.
- Mali and Mauritania: War, Drought and School Meals Source: Yahoo! Voices
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- West Africa and the Sahel - Food Security and Humanitarian Implications, 2014
- The Market Monitor
- WFPs Use of Pooled Funds for Humanitarian Preparedness and Response (2009 - 2013). Terms of Reference.
- Regional EMOP 200438 Assistance to Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Affected by Insecurity in Mali, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Niger (2012-2013): An Operation Evaluation