16 August 2005
Bamako WFP increases its emergency appeal for Mali in order to feed an additional 175,000 children in the hardest-hit parts of the country and avoid it slipping into a humanitarian crisis similar to neighbouring Niger.
10 July 2005
Though food distributions are improving conditions for thousands of people across the West African nation of Mauritania, WFP calls for greater international assistance to address worrying levels of malnutrition, particularly in the south and south-east of the country.
8 May 2005
Rome - As donors scramble to respond to Niger's food crisis six months after WFP launched its original appeal, the agency urges the international community not to make the same mistake with other countries in the Sahel region, and Mali in particular.
8 April 2005
Ankara - WFP welcomes a cash donation of US$1.8 million from the Republic of Turkey which will go to assist the agency\'s operations in Niger, Mali, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Sierra Leone and Guinea.
17 January 2005
Nouakchott WFP appeals for immediate food aid for 400,000 people in Mauritania, where locusts and drought have obliterated agricultural production -- the cornerstone of families\' survival here.
21 December 2004
Rome In the wake of recent threats from Desert Locusts, FAO and WFP release the results of joint assessment missions to Mali, Mauritania, Niger and Senegal.
- Mali and Mauritania: War, Drought and School Meals Source: Yahoo! Voices
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- The Market Monitor
- West Africa and the Sahel - Food Security and Humanitarian Implications, 2014
- WFPs Use of Pooled Funds for Humanitarian Preparedness and Response (2009 - 2013). Terms of Reference.
- Regional EMOP 200438 Assistance to Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Affected by Insecurity in Mali, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Niger (2012-2013): An Operation Evaluation