10 July 2006
Under the relentless West African sun, villagers join forces to dig a dam using their bare hands. Marcus Prior reports on how a WFP food-for-work project helps Mauritanians harness one of their most precious resources.
12 December 2005
17 November 2005
For several weeks in the middle of 2005, the world's attention was, unusually, focused on Niger; a marginalised, poverty-stricken West African nation struggling to cope with a food crisis that left many of its poorest rural families unable to provide for themselves.
4 October 2005
WFP welcomes a donation of US$1.8 million by the Government of Turkey that has been earmarked for six West African countries, all in urgent need of food aid.
16 September 2005
3 August 2005
In a special article for WFP, Desmond Tutu, archbishop emeritus of Cape Town and Nobel prize winne, warns that there are other "Nigers" waiting to happen on the African continent.
- Mali and Mauritania: War, Drought and School Meals Source: Yahoo! Voices
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News