16 November 2010
Gum arabic, a common food ingredient which makes bubblegum chewy and postage stamps stick, may also be offering a way out of poverty for a group of returning refugees in southern Mauritania. With the earnings from their new gum tree nursery, they’re investing in wells, homes, more trees and a future free from hunger.
8 September 2009
WFP has started distributing vital food rations to the victims of widespread flooding across West Africa, launching emergency operations in Burkina Faso, Niger and Mauritania for thousands of people in the worst affected areas.
19 September 2007
From West to East, some 1.5 million people have been caught in Africa's worst floods in decades. Use our quick guide to see how WFP is responding, region by region, country by country.
26 March 2007
WFP has hailed a second generous donation in the space of seven months from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for its operation in Mauritania, which is strongly directed towards saving young children from the ravages of malnutrition.
9 October 2006
WFP has welcomed a significant new donation of €5.6 million from the government of Luxembourg. With a total contribution this year of €9.6 million, Luxembourg is one of WFP’s most important donors in the fight against hunger.
10 July 2006
Under the relentless West African sun, villagers join forces to dig a dam using their bare hands. Marcus Prior reports on how a WFP food-for-work project helps Mauritanians harness one of their most precious resources.
12 December 2005
17 November 2005
For several weeks in the middle of 2005, the world's attention was, unusually, focused on Niger; a marginalised, poverty-stricken West African nation struggling to cope with a food crisis that left many of its poorest rural families unable to provide for themselves.
4 October 2005
WFP welcomes a donation of US$1.8 million by the Government of Turkey that has been earmarked for six West African countries, all in urgent need of food aid.
16 September 2005
- Mali and Mauritania: War, Drought and School Meals Source: Yahoo! Voices
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- West Africa and the Sahel - Food Security and Humanitarian Implications, 2014
- The Market Monitor
- WFPs Use of Pooled Funds for Humanitarian Preparedness and Response (2009 - 2013). Terms of Reference.
- Regional EMOP 200438 Assistance to Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Affected by Insecurity in Mali, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Niger (2012-2013): An Operation Evaluation