3 August 2010
Despite the monsoon downpour on 20 July, more than 400 people flowed through the gallery space of Nepal Arts Council on the opening night of WFP’s photo exhibition, “The Life of Food in Nepal”. Showcasing 46 works taken by 18 photographers across the country, the exhibition celebrates the central role food plays in the lives of the Nepalese people and Nepalese culture.
2 October 2009
Iranian-born singer Loulou Ghelichkhani, vocalist with Washington DC band Thievery Corporation, believes musicians have a unique opportunity to raise awareness about hunger. She says Thievery’s partnership with WFP is one of the reasons she’s in the band.
4 June 2009
Transport links in remote areas of Nepal are poor, making it hard for people to get their produce to market. A WFP project to build a road opened up new horizons for one construction worker turned entrepreneur.
29 May 2009
The launch of a school feeding programme in a poor district of Western Nepal has successfully channeled nutritious food to families struggling with high food prices while at the same time raised the number of students -- especially girls – getting primary education.
25 January 2009
WFP is helping poor communities in northern Nepal to cultivate precious medicinal plants which, as well as soothing fevers and toothaches, can become a source of income. Laura Melo explains.
2 October 2008
Just a month after floods devastated a huge swathe of Nepal’s eastern region, floods have again ravaged the Himalayan republic – this time in the west.
30 January 2008
WFP staff often face challenges that call for quiet and persistent acts of bravery. Subhash Singh is one of those people. He spoke to Heather Hill about some hair-raising moments during his time working for WFP in Nepal.
10 January 2008
Nepal may be small, but the mountainous country presents vast logistical challenges to WFP. Country Director Richard Ragan talks to web writer Michelle Hough about the peace process and WFP's creative responses to Nepal's challenges.
14 September 2007
WFP has welcomed a €500,000 donation from the European Commission Humanitarian Aid department (ECHO) to its emergency operations to feed flood-affected people in Nepal.
7 August 2007
WFP has begun distributing high energy biscuits and other food to victims of severe flooding in Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan and is preparing to step up its operations if requested by governments.
- Nepalese women climbers set out to break male dominance of mountaineering by scaling 7 peaks Source: The Washington Post / AP
- How food keeps Nepalese children in education Source: BBC World Class
- Germany gives Rs 54m to WFP-Nepal Source: My Republica (Nepal)
- NEPAL: Gender discrimination fuels malnutrition Source: IRIN
- Food security situation remains stable Source: The Himalayan Times
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists
- 10 June 2014 Nepal: Tackling Hunger Through Innovations
- 9 January 2014 ECHO Visits Bhutanese Refugee Camps In Eastern Nepal
- 17 December 2013 Nepal: Village Water Project Lightens Burden On Women