18 October 2011
PANAMA – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) together with the governments of Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua have distributed urgently needed food rations to more than 70,000 people severely affected by Tropical Depression 12E, but continuing bad weather and damage to roads and infrastructure are hampering efforts to reach isolated communities.
17 November 2010
International food prices have increased steeply in the last six months, bringing the UN Food and Agriculture (FAO) Food Price Index to its highest level since September 2008. However, recent harvests have been better and global food stocks are higher.
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
13 September 2007
WFP has announced plans to issue a US$10.3 million emergency appeal to assist an estimated 80,000 victims, as rescue crews were reported stunned by the intensity of the destruction wrought by Hurricane Felix in northern Nicaragua.
9 May 2007
As emergency personnel from WFP began distributing food to victims of Hurricane Felix in northern Nicaragua, the agency expressed deep concern that the violent storm could soon threaten almost 1.5 million people, many in central Honduras.
9 May 2007
An emergency airlift of food aid from WFP has arrived in the Nicaraguan coastal town of Bilwi (formerly Puerto Cabezas) for distribution to hungry residents who bore some of the worst of Hurricane Felix’s punishing Tuesday landfall.
12 April 2007
Two major logistics companies, UPS and TNT, have joined forces for a humanitarian cause by offering free warehousing facilities to the United Nations Humanitarian Response Depots (UNHRD), run by the WFP in Ghana and Panama.
19 May 2005
Panama At the request of the Government of Panama, WFP is supporting a two-day Regional Technical Consultation meeting to coordinate the agendas of the fight against hunger and malnutrition in Latin America and the Caribbean.
18 April 2005
San Salvador - The Executive Director of WFP, James Morris, has called for continued support from the governments and the private sector in Central America to eradicate child hunger as the best way to overcome poverty in the region.
- Nicaragua highlight efforts on nutrition Source: prensa latina
- Nicaragua: "We must invest in nutrition" Source: La Prensa (Nicaragua)
- WFP Regional Director in Nicaragua Source: La Prensa (Nicaragua)
- A Vaccinne Against Hunger Source: LA PRENSA
- Distributing products for school meals Source: La Voz del Sandinismo
- Central America PRRO 200490 Restoring Food Security and Livelihoods for Vulnerable Groups Affected by Recurrent Shocks in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua: An Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference
- Seasonal Monitor
- School Feeding- WFP’s role in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Global Food Security Update
- 24 April 2015 Nicaraguan Farmers Receive Support from Canada
- 5 March 2015 Women are the True Heroes of Humanitarian Work
- 30 September 2014 WFP And Nicaragua’s Army Prepare For Emergency Response