7 May 2014
The Executive Secretariat of the National System for Disaster Prevention, Mitigation and Relief (SINAPRED), Nicaragua’s Civil Defense, with support from the World Food Programme (WFP), organized a Risk Management Course to better instruct 94 technicians from the government municipalities of Madriz, Esteli, Nueva Segovia and Boaco, Rio San Juan, and the Caribbean Coast.
7 May 2014
The World Food Programme (WFP) and the National System for Disaster Prevention, Mitigation and Relief (SINAPRED), Nicaragua’s Civil Defence, have joined forces to build a warehouse to store food and other essential inputs as a precautionary measure to be ready to assist in the event of an emergency.
30 April 2014
The members of the Multisectoral Women Organization of Wale-that is part of WFP’s Purchase for Progress (P4P) project. Is preparing themselves for the next planting season, starting in May when their rainy season begins.
22 April 2014
In Nicaragua, the World Food Programme (WFP) supports various activities with the aim of developing food security in vulnerable households. WFP’s initiatives in nutrition, education, and agriculture contribute to the strengthening of the government’s National Human Development Plan. Currently smallholder farmers produce 70% of the country’s staple grains. WFP purchases a portion of these grains to supply country programmes.
19 March 2014
WFP ensures that those in need do not go hungry. This month food was distributed to one of the most remote areas of Nicaragua, the Miskito communities. It is a region that few have visited. Its people are natives to the Caribbean coast, retain their own language, ancestral traditions, and communal organization.
18 March 2014
Martha Matute is a 36 year old single woman from the town of Jalapa, Nueva Segovia. Martha has been an active member of the smallholder farmer’s organization “Nuevo Horizonte” (New Horizons) for the past 5 years. While speaking with her she adamantly expressed how “blessed” and happy she is because of the opportunity she now has share information and advise women of her community.
17 March 2014
WFP’s logistics team held a workshop for agricultural cooperative members in the departments of Jinotega, Matagalpa and Estelí. The training focused on the handling and storage of foods in their warehouses.
6 February 2014
The Ministry of Education (MINED) with the help of The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in Nicaragua inaugurated the first distribution of food from the “Programa Nacional de Alimentación Escolar” (National School Meal Programme) that attends to thousands of pre-school and elementary aged children in public schools throughout Nicaragua.
5 February 2014
PANAMA CITY –The World Food Programme (WFP) has appointed Miguel Barreto, a Peruvian national, as its new Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean. His duty will be to oversee WFP operations across the region.
16 October 2013
ROME/MANAGUA – The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is marking World Food Day on 16 October by highlighting the power of nutrition to transform individuals, societies and economies, and the need to make it central to all development efforts.
- Nicaragua highlight efforts on nutrition Source: prensa latina
- Nicaragua: "We must invest in nutrition" Source: La Prensa (Nicaragua)
- WFP Regional Director in Nicaragua Source: La Prensa (Nicaragua)
- A Vaccinne Against Hunger Source: LA PRENSA
- Distributing products for school meals Source: La Voz del Sandinismo
- Central America PRRO 200490 Restoring Food Security and Livelihoods for Vulnerable Groups Affected by Recurrent Shocks in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua: An Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference
- Seasonal Monitor
- School Feeding- WFP’s role in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Global Food Security Update
- 24 April 2015 Nicaraguan Farmers Receive Support from Canada
- 5 March 2015 Women are the True Heroes of Humanitarian Work
- 30 September 2014 WFP And Nicaragua’s Army Prepare For Emergency Response