25 February 2015
Niamey - WFP has resumed providing food assistance to refugees and displaced people in the Diffa region of Niger, near the Nigerian border, after security concerns forced a temporary suspension of food distributions.
12 August 2013
NIAMEY – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a contribution of €15.5 million (US$20.5 million) from the European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department (ECHO) to address both the food security and nutritional condition of the most vulnerable households in Niger.
24 April 2013
Copenhagen/Oslo – Responding to the continuing challenges in Niger and the Sahel, the Government of Norway has announced an additional contribution of NOK 25 million to the United Nations World Food Programme’s activities in Niger.
7 May 2012
Today, we are completing a four-day visit to Niger, which is experiencing a deepening humanitarian crisis. In the Ouallam and Maradi regions, we saw fathers and mothers struggling to feed their families in villages where hunger has already taken hold in advance of the traditional hunger season.
21 February 2012
The Government is Brazil is providing $2 375 000 for a new local food purchase programme to be set up by FAO and the World Food Programme (WFP) to benefit farmers and vulnerable populations in five African countries – Ethiopia, Malawi, Mozambique, Niger and Senegal.
13 December 2011
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is deeply concerned by an unseasonal rise in grain prices in Niger and is planning an urgent scale-up of food assistance operations -- aimed at as many as one million people in vulnerable households.
28 October 2011
The growing threat of food security in Niger is deeply worrying. The country appears to be heading towards a full-scale food crisis if early measures are not taken. Vulnerable families are still exhausted by the last crisis, barely a year ago, and they have little ability to confront another emergency.
--Denise Brown, WFP Niger Country Director, Niamey
20 January 2011
11 January 2011
YOKOHAMA – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed the largest ever, one-off donation from the Government of Japan, amounting to US$ 196.6 million. The donation will be used to provide urgently needed food and nutritional assistance to millions of the most vulnerable people in 20 countries in Asia and Africa and will also support logistics operations in eight countries where WFP is working.
28 December 2010
NIAMEY - Despite a good harvest and pastoral season in late 2010, the nutritional situation of children remains alarming in Niger where more than 15 children in 100 suffer from acute malnutrition, according to the results of the National Nutrition Survey made public on 16 December.
- Nigeria braced for potential food crisis as forecasters predict short rainy season Source: The Guardian
- Niger food crisis scheme offers local approach to recurring cycle of hunger Source: The Guardian
- Analysis: Slowing Nigerian grain trade threatens Sahel food security Source: IRIN News
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- 27 February 2015 WFP Stands By Nigerian Refugees Despite Growing Insecurity
- 10 February 2015 Nigeria Violence Drives Thousands Into Niger
- 9 February 2015 WFP Alarmed at Spread of Violence Into Niger (For the Media)
- 15 October 2014 WFP And The EU: Pushing For Zero Hunger Together