11 January 2011
YOKOHAMA – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed the largest ever, one-off donation from the Government of Japan, amounting to US$ 196.6 million. The donation will be used to provide urgently needed food and nutritional assistance to millions of the most vulnerable people in 20 countries in Asia and Africa and will also support logistics operations in eight countries where WFP is working.
28 December 2010
NIAMEY - Despite a good harvest and pastoral season in late 2010, the nutritional situation of children remains alarming in Niger where more than 15 children in 100 suffer from acute malnutrition, according to the results of the National Nutrition Survey made public on 16 December.
14 October 2010
ROME – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today thanked the Swedish government for pledging record levels of support in 2011 for programmes that provide food assistance to the most vulnerable people around the world. Sweden’s contribution to WFP -- which is fully flexible and can be used to provide food assistance wherever it is needed most -- is expected to reach SEK 556 million in 2011, a 15 per cent increase on the 2010 contribution.
16 September 2010
ROME – As harvest time approaches in the Eastern Sahel, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) warned today that rates of malnutrition among children remain at critical levels in Chad.
19 August 2010
OVERVIEW - With millions of people facing hunger in Niger caused by a combination of drought, poor harvests and high food prices, WFP is scaling up to reach almost 8 million people with food assistance over the next 6 months.
11 August 2010
NIAMEY – The World Food Programme (WFP) has begun a major round of feeding in Niger for 670,000 young children and their families as part of an emergency operation to reach as many as 8 million food-insecure people in the drought-stricken West African country.
20 July 2010
OVERVIEW - Millions of people are facing hunger in Niger caused by a combination of drought, poor harvests, and high food prices. A dramatic deterioration of the nutrition situation has led to the World Food Programme (WFP) significantly expandings its programme with a sharp focus on the needs of malnourished children.
20 July 2010
Rome – Josette Sheeran, the Executive Director of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) will begin a fact-finding visit this week to four African nations where the agency is undertaking the full spectrum of its humanitarian work ranging from emergency food assistance in Niger to distribution of cash and vouchers in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and support for small farmers in its Purchase for Progress initiative in Uganda.
20 July 2010
Rome - The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today said it is massively scaling-up its food assistance operation in the west African state of Niger to feed up to 8 million hungry people who have lost crops and livestock due to a particularly severe drought.
2 July 2010
ROME – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today announced that it is scaling up operations in the drought-hit West African country of Niger in the light of a shocking new government survey showing malnutrition rates among young children at emergency levels.
- Nigeria braced for potential food crisis as forecasters predict short rainy season Source: The Guardian
- Niger food crisis scheme offers local approach to recurring cycle of hunger Source: The Guardian
- Analysis: Slowing Nigerian grain trade threatens Sahel food security Source: IRIN News
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- Revolutionizing Data Collection - World Food Programme and Nielsen Use Scalable Mobile Surveys in Today's Changing Technological Landscape, June 2015
- Factsheet - Food Security Analysis, 2015
- Niger PRRO 200583 Saving lives, protecting livelihoods and enhancing the resilience of chronically vulnerable populations: A mid-term Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference.
- Seasonal Monitor
- 27 February 2015 WFP Stands By Nigerian Refugees Despite Growing Insecurity
- 10 February 2015 Nigeria Violence Drives Thousands Into Niger
- 9 February 2015 WFP Alarmed at Spread of Violence Into Niger (For the Media)
- 15 October 2014 WFP And The EU: Pushing For Zero Hunger Together