26 April 2010
DAKAR – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today announced it is more than doubling the number of hungry people it feeds in Niger, providing assistance to 2.3 million people caught in a worsening food crisis caused by drought in the eastern Sahel.
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
26 September 2007
WFP teams in many countries across Africa are delivering food to people hit by floods across the continent that are the worst in decades in some places. But WFP urgently needs new contributions to cope with the crisis.
19 September 2006
WFP has welcomed a cash donation of US$10 million from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to its operations in West Africa, where many of the poorest people in the world are living under trying conditions.
10 September 2006
As harvests roll in across West Africa’s Sahel, WFP has warned that although households are restocking their granaries, millions of children across the region remain threatened by malnutrition.
25 August 2006
WFP together with the Government of Niger, will today begin targeted free distributions of staple foodstuffs to the most vulnerable people to ensure that they have enough food through this year’s ‘lean season’ currently underway.
11 July 2006
In an address to the Foreign Affairs Commission of the Italian Chamber of Deputies, WFP’s Executive Director, James Morris, has said that globalisation is an economic and social reality that must be managed if it is to become an effective tool to fight hunger.
16 May 2006
As household food stocks begin to run low across the Sahel region of West Africa, the United Nations World Food Programme today urged the international community to continue supporting programmes which mitigate the very worst effects of food shortages among the most vulnerable.
16 January 2006
WFP calls on the international community to rally strongly behind its efforts to tackle hunger and poverty in West Africa, the poorest region of the world.
- Nigeria braced for potential food crisis as forecasters predict short rainy season Source: The Guardian
- Niger food crisis scheme offers local approach to recurring cycle of hunger Source: The Guardian
- Analysis: Slowing Nigerian grain trade threatens Sahel food security Source: IRIN News
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- 27 February 2015 WFP Stands By Nigerian Refugees Despite Growing Insecurity
- 10 February 2015 Nigeria Violence Drives Thousands Into Niger
- 9 February 2015 WFP Alarmed at Spread of Violence Into Niger (For the Media)
- 15 October 2014 WFP And The EU: Pushing For Zero Hunger Together