21 April 2005
Niamey - WFP warns that approximately 350,000 children under five years old in the West African state of Niger could be suffering from malnutrition according to the results of a survey published in the capital Niamey.
8 April 2005
Ankara - WFP welcomes a cash donation of US$1.8 million from the Republic of Turkey which will go to assist the agency\'s operations in Niger, Mali, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Sierra Leone and Guinea.
22 March 2005
Dakar - WFP is appealing for US$10 million to ensure the double ravages of drought and a locust invasion do not combine to destroy the livelihoods of over 800,000 vulnerable people living in Mali and Niger.
8 March 2005
Rome - WFP is tripling its emergency appeal for Niger's escalating food crisis, warning the international community that more food aid would be needed to save 2.5 million people from extreme hunger and malnutrition.
21 December 2004
Rome In the wake of recent threats from Desert Locusts, FAO and WFP release the results of joint assessment missions to Mali, Mauritania, Niger and Senegal.
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- In Niger, flooding adds to humanitarian woes Source: The Washington Post
- In Niger, Child Marriage On Rise Due To Hunger Source: NPR/AP