2 July 2010
Drought in Niger has pushed levels of child malnutrition past emergency levels, according to an alarming new government report. In response, WFP is scaling up its operation to provide over 4.5 million people with food assistance, nearly twice as many as it is now.
8 June 2010
WFP’s “operational prowess” and weighty “procurement footprint” – almost a billion dollars spent buying food last year – position it to lead the way in creating food systems that over time will eliminate the need for humanitarian food aid, USAID Administrator Rajiv Shah said on Monday.
28 May 2010
Some 10 million people in the Sahel region of West-Central Africa risk going hungry as the summer lean season arrives on the heels of a long drought. WFP is stepping up operations in four countries of the Sahel, to ease the suffering of those hardest hit.
26 May 2010
26 April 2010
Amid a worsening food crisis caused by drought in the eastern Sahel, WFP is more than doubling the number of hungry people it feeds in Niger, providing assistance to 2.3 million people. Food aid is being focused especially on children at risk of malnutrition.
21 April 2010
As the food security situation worsens in the Eastern Sahel region, WFP is stepping up its interventions in Niger to meet the needs of more than two million hungry people. WFP is planning, for the period from May to October, to provide food for an estimated 2.3 million people under a Protracted Relief and Recovery Operation, said WFP’s West Africa Regional Bureau Director Thomas Yanga.
14 April 2010
With growing numbers of people going hungry in Niger, one of the poorest countries on Earth, WFP is stepping up food assistance. Mahamadou is one of the beneficiaries. He’s 13 months old and malnourished. But nutritious food supplements are giving him a fighting chance. Video
8 September 2009
WFP has started distributing vital food rations to the victims of widespread flooding across West Africa, launching emergency operations in Burkina Faso, Niger and Mauritania for thousands of people in the worst affected areas.
16 April 2009
The women of Todigamèye in Niger used to worry about how they would feed their families during the lean season. A WFP-initiated cereal bank has changed that – and led to a new-found confidence.
19 September 2007
From West to East, some 1.5 million people have been caught in Africa's worst floods in decades. Use our quick guide to see how WFP is responding, region by region, country by country.
- Nigeria braced for potential food crisis as forecasters predict short rainy season Source: The Guardian
- Niger food crisis scheme offers local approach to recurring cycle of hunger Source: The Guardian
- Analysis: Slowing Nigerian grain trade threatens Sahel food security Source: IRIN News
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- Global Food Security Update
- Revolutionizing Data Collection - World Food Programme and Nielsen Use Scalable Mobile Surveys in Today's Changing Technological Landscape, June 2015
- Factsheet - Food Security Analysis, 2015
- Niger PRRO 200583 Saving lives, protecting livelihoods and enhancing the resilience of chronically vulnerable populations: A mid-term Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference.
- 27 February 2015 WFP Stands By Nigerian Refugees Despite Growing Insecurity
- 10 February 2015 Nigeria Violence Drives Thousands Into Niger
- 9 February 2015 WFP Alarmed at Spread of Violence Into Niger (For the Media)
- 15 October 2014 WFP And The EU: Pushing For Zero Hunger Together