8 September 2009
WFP has started distributing vital food rations to the victims of widespread flooding across West Africa, launching emergency operations in Burkina Faso, Niger and Mauritania for thousands of people in the worst affected areas.
16 April 2009
The women of Todigamèye in Niger used to worry about how they would feed their families during the lean season. A WFP-initiated cereal bank has changed that – and led to a new-found confidence.
19 September 2007
From West to East, some 1.5 million people have been caught in Africa's worst floods in decades. Use our quick guide to see how WFP is responding, region by region, country by country.
31 August 2007
WFP hs welcomed major US government contributions for August totaling US$69 million, aimed at feeding people in seven countries confronting humanitarian challenges ranging from severe drought to civil conflict.
2 August 2007
WFP has praised The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg for its decision to allocate a set amount of its humanitarian budget to improving emergency preparedness in developing countries.
9 October 2006
WFP has welcomed a significant new donation of €5.6 million from the government of Luxembourg. With a total contribution this year of €9.6 million, Luxembourg is one of WFP’s most important donors in the fight against hunger.
3 May 2006
As Niger's nomads continue their traditional lifestyle of tending to their livestock out in the bush, their children stay at school where WFP food helps them to continue studying. Marcus Prior reports on school feeding among the children of nomadic pastoralists.
12 April 2006
The scorched landscape of Niger hides a secret. Crescent-shaped grooves etched into the earth by workers collect vital water for a plentiful harvest. Marcus Prior looks at how WFP's Food for Work programme provides a buffer for Nigeriens waiting for their crops to grow.
13 March 2006
12 December 2005
- Nigeria braced for potential food crisis as forecasters predict short rainy season Source: The Guardian
- Niger food crisis scheme offers local approach to recurring cycle of hunger Source: The Guardian
- Analysis: Slowing Nigerian grain trade threatens Sahel food security Source: IRIN News
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- The Market Monitor
- West Africa and the Sahel - Food Security and Humanitarian Implications, 2014
- Annual Evaluation Report 2013
- Regional EMOP 200438 Assistance to Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Affected by Insecurity in Mali, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Niger (2012-2013): An Operation Evaluation