1 December 2005
The collapse of a bridge in northern Benin created a massive bottleneck in one of WFP's key supply lines for getting food aid into Niger, and presented a serious logistical challenge. But with a partnership-based approach and pure hard work, the problem was soon solved, as WFP spokesperson Marcus Prior reports.
4 October 2005
WFP welcomes a donation of US$1.8 million by the Government of Turkey that has been earmarked for six West African countries, all in urgent need of food aid.
16 September 2005
13 September 2005
5 September 2005
26 August 2005
In an article first published in Canada's Globe and Mail newspaper, former WFP nutritionist Patrick Webb argues that Niger's ongoing hunger crisis shows the classic symptons of a "silent emergency".
23 August 2005
Large-scale distributions of life-saving food aid continue in Niger, as WFP and its partners endeavour to reach a total of 2.65 million people battling hunger under a first-round general emergency distribution.
3 August 2005
In a special article for WFP, Desmond Tutu, archbishop emeritus of Cape Town and Nobel prize winne, warns that there are other "Nigers" waiting to happen on the African continent.
25 July 2005
Niger is suffering the second-worst food crisis in its history, with up to a quarter of the population of 12 million people in need of food aid. The current crisis was predicted after poor harvests last year, so how could the situation become so serious? This is the course of events:
- Nigeria braced for potential food crisis as forecasters predict short rainy season Source: The Guardian
- Niger food crisis scheme offers local approach to recurring cycle of hunger Source: The Guardian
- Analysis: Slowing Nigerian grain trade threatens Sahel food security Source: IRIN News
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- The Market Monitor
- West Africa and the Sahel - Food Security and Humanitarian Implications, 2014
- Annual Evaluation Report 2013
- Regional EMOP 200438 Assistance to Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Affected by Insecurity in Mali, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Niger (2012-2013): An Operation Evaluation