21 March 2010
The last delivery of aid from the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) arrived recently and was immediately handed to the concerned local governments for distribution to the 3,561 target families in the province who were most affected by the onslaught of typhoons Ondoy and Pepeng late last year.
18 March 2010
The brutal election-related massacre of 57 people, including 30 journalists, in the conflict-torn southern Philippines province of Maguindanao last November focused the world's attention on a four-decade, forgotten crisis. (..)"The Maguindanao massacre has sparked increased tension in the area, while also resulting in changes in local leadership which has made it harder to put in place comprehensive plans for (the) return (of displaced people), recovery and reconstruction," said Stephen Anderson, country director for the U.N. World Food Programme (WFP).
17 March 2010
On the side of the highway, neat rows of thatch-roofed huts patched with orange and blue tarpaulin bake in the sun. (..) "There's underlying chronic food insecurity in conflict-affected areas of Mindanao," Stephen Anderson, country director for the U.N. World Food Programme (WFP), told AlertNet.
8 March 2010
Warnings have been raised over food security in the Philippines as the El Niño phenomenon wreaks havoc across vast agricultural areas, leaving staple crops such as rice dying in parched earth (..) The World Food Programme (WFP) described the situation as "a slow onset emergency". “We are particularly concerned for people still trying to recover from floods and storms that hit the country in September and October, that now, when they are trying to grow crops, they are again confronted with another natural disaster,” WFP country director Stephen Anderson told IRIN.
29 January 2010
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), Sony Pictures, JackTV, and Gateway Mall have teamed up to promote awareness about hunger and to raise funds for nutritious meals to be provided to school children in conflict-affected areas in Mindanao through the latest 3D animated movie, 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs', in theatres on January 27.
8 January 2010
The government shelled out over P1.4 billion worth of assistance to more than three million families who fell victim to various kinds of calamities in 2009. (..) more than 206,000 families considered “vulnerable to hunger” after having been displaced by Typhoons “Ondoy” and “Pepeng” continue to receive food assistance worth P197,154,500, a “significant amount” of which came from the World Food Programme (WFP).
6 January 2010
The Provincial Disaster Coordinating Council (PDCC) continued repacking on Tuesday the rice donations it received for distribution to some 10,000 families displaced for close to 21 days by Mayon’s rumblings. Joey Salceda, Albay governor and PDCC chair, thanked the World Food Programme, Department of Social Welfare and Development and the United Nations for the 250 metric tons of rice that arrived on Monday.
5 January 2010
Villagers around the danger zones of Mount Mayon are asked to stay away from restricted areas as army troopers will strictly secure the no-go zones until these are declared safe (..). The World Food Program of the United Nations continuously extends assistance to the villagers affected by Mayon Volcano eruption.
3 January 2010
Classes disrupted by the eruptive activities of Mayon Volcano in Albay last month will resume this Monday, January 4, 2010.(..) High-energy biscuits from the United Nations' World Food Programme (WFP) were also distributed.
1 January 2010
Thousands of villagers evacuated from near the Philippines' most active volcano headed home Saturday after scientists said the rumbling mountain was showing signs it was calming down. (..) The evacuees heading home also will be given enough food for three days and will continue to receive supplies already set aside for them by the World Food Program (..).
- Not just beneficiaries: Make the poor partners in fighting hunger Source: Devex
- WFP transitions its operations from relief to early recovery and rebuilding Source: pia.gov.ph
- Philippines: WFP Provides More Aid To Yolanda Victims Source: ABS-CBN News
- World Food Programme faces “highly unusual” quadruple food emergency Source: PBS NewsHour
- DSWD, WFP distribute cash to 'Yolanda' survivors Source: ABS-CBN News
- Seasonal Monitor
- WFPs Use of Pooled Funds for Humanitarian Preparedness and Response (2009 - 2013). Terms of Reference.
- Philippines PRRO 200296 Support for Returnees and Other Conflict Affected Households in Central Minanao, and National Capacity Development in Disaster Preparedness and Response: An Operation Evaluation
- Philippines - Typhoon Haiyan: Multi-Cluster Needs Assessment, December 2013
- 11 September 2014 Philippines: Moving Forward After Typhoon Haiyan
- 8 September 2014 Philippines: After The Bohol Earthquake
- 3 September 2014 Typhoon Bopha: On the Road to Recovery
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists