31 December 2009
The government has shelled out over P1.4 billion in assistance to more than three million families who went through various kinds of calamities in 2009, including typhoons, landslides, armed conflicts, and even a plane crash, the Department of Social Welfare and Development said.(..)The DSWD added that more than 206,000 families considered "vulnerable to hunger" after having been displaced by typhoons "Ondoy" and "Pepeng" continue to receive food assistance worth P197,154,500, a "significant amount" of which came from the World Food Program.
30 December 2009
The Albay Catholic Church is set to organize an adopt-a-family program to decongest public school classrooms serving as temporary shelter for displaced families in Albay. (..) The announcement of the program came after Legazpi Diocese Social Action Center Director Fr. Ramoncito Segubiense attended a meeting with Albay Governor Jose Salceda and international relief agencies including (..) World Food Program (..).
29 December 2009
The United Nations World Food Programme (UN-WFP) reported that nearly 50,000 Filipinos who evacuated from homes in the shadow of Mayon Volcano will receive some holiday cheers when packages of high energy biscuits arrive in evacuation centers later Thursday.
28 December 2009
President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo visited Wednesday (December 23) this city to personally convey her assurance of assistance to the zero-casualty goal of the Albay Provincial Government (..). The President then proceeded to the naval Forces of Southern Luzon (NAVFORSOL) based in Rawis, Legazpi City to inspect the stockpile of food and non-food donations from the World Food Program.
25 December 2009
People displaced by an erupting volcano prepared for a "White Christmas" of a different kind on Thursday as Mayon spewed ash (..). The UN World Food Programme (WFP) sent truckloads of biscuits Thursday to cheer up the evacuees. "WFP has sent a total of 20 tonnes of high energy biscuits to assist the evacuees during this difficult moment," it said in a statement.
21 December 2009
More than 9,000 families fled towns near the slopes of Mayon Volcano as government vulcanologists warned of an imminent eruption within days. (..) Salceda said the provincial government is coordinating with barangay leaders for the orderly evacuation of residents near the volcano. He said a total of 4,000 sacks from the United Nations World Food Programme would be distributed to evacuees.
21 December 2009
Stockpiles of supplies have been pre-positioned for the estimated 120,000 people living in the danger zone who are being evacuated (..). The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the World Food Programme (WFP) are also working with local officials to provide targeted assistance to those in need once the volcano erupts.
17 December 2009
The Australian government has pegged an additional A$8-million or P320-million in response to the revised flash appeal of the United Nations to help typhoon victims in the country (..). Some P80 million (A$2 million), meanwhile, will be pegged for food aid for the people in Northern Luzon delivered through the World Food Programme (WFP).
16 December 2009
Australia will provide an additional P320 million (A$8 million) to assist people severely affected by the destruction caused by the typhoons that struck the Philippines in September and October this year, Australian Foreign Affairs Minister Stephen Smith announced Wednesday.(..)P80 million (A$2 million) for food aid for the people in Northern Luzon delivered through the WFP. Food assistance will include rice, oil and beans, and a supplementary feeding program for children and mothers.
16 December 2009
The United Nations World Food Program’s (WFP) relief and recovery operations in Luzon and Mindanao still require $31 million until June 2010, WFP country director and representative Stephen Anderson said yesterday.
- Not just beneficiaries: Make the poor partners in fighting hunger Source: Devex
- WFP transitions its operations from relief to early recovery and rebuilding Source: pia.gov.ph
- Philippines: WFP Provides More Aid To Yolanda Victims Source: ABS-CBN News
- World Food Programme faces “highly unusual” quadruple food emergency Source: PBS NewsHour
- DSWD, WFP distribute cash to 'Yolanda' survivors Source: ABS-CBN News
- WFPs Use of Pooled Funds for Humanitarian Preparedness and Response (2009 - 2013). Terms of Reference.
- Philippines PRRO 200296 Support for Returnees and Other Conflict Affected Households in Central Minanao, and National Capacity Development in Disaster Preparedness and Response: An Operation Evaluation
- Philippines - Typhoon Haiyan: Multi-Cluster Needs Assessment, December 2013
- Profile: WFP Typhoon Haiyan Assistance
- 11 September 2014 Philippines: Moving Forward After Typhoon Haiyan
- 8 September 2014 Philippines: After The Bohol Earthquake
- 3 September 2014 Typhoon Bopha: On the Road to Recovery
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists