10 October 2009
The United Nations World Food Programme (UN-WFP) has so far received US$10 million worth of funding pledges for the victims of heavy flooding caused by Typhoon Ondoy (Ketsana). Stephen Anderson, WFP country director, said they need to have the funding placed immediately in order to purchase the necessary equipment and deploy people on the ground.
9 October 2009
This is a reality show, of stardom at its noblest. Kapuso and Kapamilya celebrities have been playing true-life heroes these past two weeks to countless compatriots devastated and displaced by Tropical Storm “Ondoy.” (..) For one whole month, the United Nations World Food Program will give “energy biscuits” to 11,7000 children under 5 years old, announced KC Concepcion, UN-WFP national ambassador.
8 October 2009
Congress may be unable to provide the P10-billion supplemental budget to augment the almost depleted calamity fund (..). For its part, the UN’s World Food Programme (WFP) has sent this week the first batch of relief boats and helicopters from Italy to help distribute basic necessities to flood victims.
8 October 2009
Representatives from the World Food Program (WFP) are now assessing the number of families in Cagayan province who need food assistance, especially those who are evacuated and those who lost their livelihoods due to Super Typhoon Pepeng.
7 October 2009
The UN has appealed for $74m (£47m) to help flood victims in the Philippines. (..) The World Food Programme said it was providing helicopters and dinghies. "Many needy people live in areas that still remain inaccessible because of the widespread flooding," WFP's director in the Philippines Stephen Anderson said in a statement from the UN agency's Rome headquarters.
7 October 2009
Tropical storm Parma brought more heavy rains and misery to already flooded areas of the northern Philippines on Wednesday, as it hovered just off the coast for the third consecutive day. (..) "Many needy people live in areas that still remain inaccessible because of the widespread flooding," the UN's World Food Programme country director Stephen Anderson said in a statement.
6 October 2009
The World Food Program (WFP) said on Tuesday floodwaters in communities affected by tropical storm "Ondoy"(international code name: "Ketsana") are expected to remain in the next three months and called for more international assistance to the Philippines. But WFP country director Stephen Anderson said that the agency does not have enough funds to sustain its relief operations in submerged areas until the end of the year.
5 October 2009
The World Food Program (WFP) said on Monday floodwaters in communities affected by tropical storm "Ondoy" (international code name: "Ketsana") are expected to remain in the next three months. But WFP country director Stephen Anderson assured that the agency has enough funds to sustain its relief operations in submerged areas until the end of the year as it appealed to international donors to continue helping affected communities.
2 October 2009
The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has received high-tech information communication technology from the World Food Programme (WFP) to enhance the unit’s communication capacity in disaster situations.
2 October 2009
Philippine President Gloria Arroyo on 2 October ordered the police and military to forcibly evacuate residents on Luzon Island in the direct path of “super-typhoon” Parma. (..) "We are supporting the Philippines Government relief response to ensure that food and other vital supplies reach the growing numbers of people, many of whom have lost almost everything in this disaster," said Josette Sheeran, Executive Director of the UN World Food Programme (WFP).
- Not just beneficiaries: Make the poor partners in fighting hunger Source: Devex
- WFP transitions its operations from relief to early recovery and rebuilding Source: pia.gov.ph
- Philippines: WFP Provides More Aid To Yolanda Victims Source: ABS-CBN News
- World Food Programme faces “highly unusual” quadruple food emergency Source: PBS NewsHour
- DSWD, WFP distribute cash to 'Yolanda' survivors Source: ABS-CBN News
- Seasonal Monitor
- WFPs Use of Pooled Funds for Humanitarian Preparedness and Response (2009 - 2013). Terms of Reference.
- Philippines PRRO 200296 Support for Returnees and Other Conflict Affected Households in Central Minanao, and National Capacity Development in Disaster Preparedness and Response: An Operation Evaluation
- Philippines - Typhoon Haiyan: Multi-Cluster Needs Assessment, December 2013
- 11 September 2014 Philippines: Moving Forward After Typhoon Haiyan
- 8 September 2014 Philippines: After The Bohol Earthquake
- 3 September 2014 Typhoon Bopha: On the Road to Recovery
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists