27 March 2012
Lolita Hernando is one of the women in Lanao del Norte, one of the conflict-affected provinces in Mindanao. Her family has benefited from WFP assistance through a School Feeding Programme in partnership with the Department of Education and a livelihood project in partnership with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. She is 44 years old and has 7 children. She was displaced in 2008 during an upsurge in conflict, but has returned to her original home. We followed her for a day to see what has been keeping her busy lately!
15 February 2012
As part of its humanitarian mandate, the UN World Food Programme stands ready to complement and support relief and early recovery efforts of the Government of the Philippines if requested and based on assessed needs. Most recently, WFP has been working with the Department of Social Welfare and Development to assist more than 250,000 people who have been affected by Tropical Storm Washi (locally called 'Sendong') that struck northern Mindanao in mid-December 2011. What many people may not know is that WFP is also working very hard to build up national and local level capacities to better prepare for natural disasters.
23 January 2012
Ayeene Robles has been a field monitor for WFP in the Philippines since 2009. In a country regularly hit by devastating natural disasters, this can be a challenging job, including travelling for weeks in areas completely submerged in floods and cut-off from the outside world.
20 December 2011
In support of government relief efforts, WFP is providing urgently needed food, supplies and logistics support to boost the Philippine government’s emergency response to help thousands of people whose lives have been devastated by Tropical Storm Washi, which battered Northern Mindanao over the weekend.
3 November 2011
WFP in the Philippines is helping formerly displaced fishermen increase their catch. A major upsurge in conflict in Central Mindanao in 2008 displaced over 700,000 people – the world’s largest population displacement recorded that year. Since then, WFP has been working the with the government of the Philippines to help displaced communities rebuild their lives after returning home.
1 October 2011
In support of government relief efforts, WFP is providing immediate food assistance to communities affected by Typhoon Nesat in Northern Luzon. Flooding in the wake of the typhoon has caused displacement and damaged livelihoods in several areas of the island.
12 September 2011
The fierce upsurge in conflict in Central Mindanao in 2008 displaced over 700,000 people. Among them was Efren Canto Mayor, a farmer who was tilling his fields when armed men attacked their village and forced him to flee with his family. Now Efren has returned to the village, where WFP is helping him and the rest of the community to rebuild lives and livelihoods.
24 June 2011
WFP is moving quickly to provide food assistance to victims of the current torrential rains in the Maguindanao province of the Philippines, where flooding has caused serious displacement and disruption to people's livelihoods. First food distributions will start on Saturday.
21 April 2011
Inspired to make a positive change for the world in one week, six 10-year old students take the initiative to help other children living under challenging situations, and in the process realized for themselves the value of reaching out and of having their needs met.
6 April 2011
After years of conflict, women on the Philippines island of Mindanao are taking reconstruction into their own hands. Through projects to reclaim old fishing grounds, start new market gardens and recycle used rice bags into rope, these women are leading the way towards a better future for themselves and their families. Watch video
- Not just beneficiaries: Make the poor partners in fighting hunger Source: Devex
- WFP transitions its operations from relief to early recovery and rebuilding Source: pia.gov.ph
- Philippines: WFP Provides More Aid To Yolanda Victims Source: ABS-CBN News
- World Food Programme faces “highly unusual” quadruple food emergency Source: PBS NewsHour
- DSWD, WFP distribute cash to 'Yolanda' survivors Source: ABS-CBN News
- WFPs Use of Pooled Funds for Humanitarian Preparedness and Response (2009 - 2013). Terms of Reference.
- Philippines PRRO 200296 Support for Returnees and Other Conflict Affected Households in Central Minanao, and National Capacity Development in Disaster Preparedness and Response: An Operation Evaluation
- Philippines - Typhoon Haiyan: Multi-Cluster Needs Assessment, December 2013
- Profile: WFP Typhoon Haiyan Assistance
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists
- 23 June 2014 Philippines: The Faces of Zamboanga