21 April 2011
Inspired to make a positive change for the world in one week, six 10-year old students take the initiative to help other children living under challenging situations, and in the process realized for themselves the value of reaching out and of having their needs met.
6 April 2011
After years of conflict, women on the Philippines island of Mindanao are taking reconstruction into their own hands. Through projects to reclaim old fishing grounds, start new market gardens and recycle used rice bags into rope, these women are leading the way towards a better future for themselves and their families. Watch video
31 January 2011
Dark clouds hovering over and around the perfect cone of the iconic Mayon volcano. Strong rains over the city of Legaspi in the province of Albay. Flash floods and landslides across the region. These adverse weather patterns at this time of the year come as a surprise to most Bicolanos (a term used to refer to people from the Bicol region), who usually expect the rainy season in the Philippines to have ended by September.
20 January 2011
Families in the Philippines uprooted by disaster have begun receiving text messages which they can cash like checks to buy food. The pilot project makes use of the widespread availability of mobile phones in the Philippines, which is known as the “texting capital of the world”. Watch video
15 October 2010
Mobile phones are everywhere in the Philippines, even the slums of Manila, where people either have their own or share with others. That means the country is well suited to a new pilot project that uses text messages to distribute money earned through WFP 'cash-for-work' projects.
6 August 2010
A cutting-edge new software package is helping rapid response teams be ready when disaster strikes. Known as DeMist, the programme simulates a wide range of emergencies, pitting aid workers in the same situations they face while responding to real-life crises.
19 May 2010
Since a typhoon destroyed their home last year, Mildred's family has been living on a beach. Their fishing boat damaged and their savings exhausted, they had nowhere to turn. But their fortunes are changing with a programme that takes care of food needs as they rebuild their lives.
24 December 2009
Nearly 50,000 Filipinos evacuated from their homes in the shadow of the Mount Mayon volcano received some welcome assistance from WFP on Thursday, when packages of high energy biscuits arrived in evacuation centres set up by the government.
23 November 2009
After Typhoon Ketsana dumped the heaviest rain in decades on Manila, wrecking her home, Joralyn Castillo and her family were in danger of sliding into hunger and destitution. Emergency rice rations from WFP are helping make sure that doesn’t happen.
10 November 2009
WFP has distributed over 230 tons of High Energy Biscuits in the Philippines as part of its response to the recent typhoons. Intent on seeing how the biscuits get from factory to beneficiary, Martin Penner followed one packet all the way to a little boy called Antonio. Watch video
- Not just beneficiaries: Make the poor partners in fighting hunger Source: Devex
- WFP transitions its operations from relief to early recovery and rebuilding Source: pia.gov.ph
- Philippines: WFP Provides More Aid To Yolanda Victims Source: ABS-CBN News
- World Food Programme faces “highly unusual” quadruple food emergency Source: PBS NewsHour
- DSWD, WFP distribute cash to 'Yolanda' survivors Source: ABS-CBN News
- WFPs Use of Pooled Funds for Humanitarian Preparedness and Response (2009 - 2013). Terms of Reference.
- Philippines PRRO 200296 Support for Returnees and Other Conflict Affected Households in Central Minanao, and National Capacity Development in Disaster Preparedness and Response: An Operation Evaluation
- Philippines - Typhoon Haiyan: Multi-Cluster Needs Assessment, December 2013
- Profile: WFP Typhoon Haiyan Assistance
- 11 September 2014 Philippines: Moving Forward After Typhoon Haiyan
- 8 September 2014 Philippines: After The Bohol Earthquake
- 3 September 2014 Typhoon Bopha: On the Road to Recovery
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists