14 December 2012
More than a week after Typhoon Bopha hit the Philippines, WFP continues to work around the clock with the Philippine government and other partner agencies to ensure that relief items reach those who need them most.
12 December 2012
They say hope comes in all shapes and sizes. But when you’ve lost everything, how do you pick yourself up and where do you find hope?
7 December 2012
WFP is moving food and supplies to the worst hit areas of the Philippines, following a request by the government for support in coping with the aftermath of Typhoon Bopha (also known as 'Pablo'). Humanitarian needs are rising as teams reach some of the worst hit areas and assess the damage.
1 October 2012
The Municipality of Pila in Laguna province often experiences flooding, and one of the reasons for this was the area’s clogged tributaries. After Typhoon Ondoy severely affected the Philippines in September 2009, the local government unit (LGU) of Pila, with support from WFP, took proactive steps to help their community mitigate the impact of future natural disasters.
Edgardo Sababan, resident of Pila, recalls his family’s experience during Typhoon Ondoy, and shares how in August 2012, in the face of heavy and persistent rainfall, the LGU's and WFP’s joint efforts successfully kept the floodwaters at bay.
27 September 2012
When the combined forces of Typhoon Saola and a southwest monsoon submerged nearly a third of Metro Manila and its neighbouring province in early August 2012 , WFP Philippines immediately provided High Energy Biscuits to supplement the Philippine Government's emergency relief efforts. Marilou Perez and her seven children, who live in a slum area in Manila, were among those who received this assistance.
5 April 2012
After being displaced by conflict, the women of Manga have finally found a way to support their families. Together with other women from their community, they are helping rebuild their families' lives and re-establishing their own livelihoods.
4 April 2012
A communal garden project is helping returnee families rebuild their homes and re-establish their livelihoods. WFP Philippines assisted the families by providing them with food as incentive for attending the project's training sessions.
4 April 2012
The Liguasan Marsh is a 288,000- hectare marshland which plays a vital role in maintaining the ecological balance of the Central Mindanao region in the southern Philippines. The communities surrounding the marsh, together with their local government, has embarked on a reforestation project to protect and conserve the biodiversity of the marsh -- and WFP was there to support them.
4 April 2012
The effects of malnutrition during the first critical 1,000 days of a child’s life (starting from conception) can actually result in irreversible damage to a child’s physical and mental development. This is why WFP’s nutrition program -- implemented with various government and non-government partners -- is particularly targeted towards young children and breastfeeding mothers.
2 April 2012
To celebrate Women’s Month, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) recently joined a mangrove planting activity that connected women with the critical issue of addressing climate change and food security in their community.
- Not just beneficiaries: Make the poor partners in fighting hunger Source: Devex
- WFP transitions its operations from relief to early recovery and rebuilding Source: pia.gov.ph
- Philippines: WFP Provides More Aid To Yolanda Victims Source: ABS-CBN News
- World Food Programme faces “highly unusual” quadruple food emergency Source: PBS NewsHour
- DSWD, WFP distribute cash to 'Yolanda' survivors Source: ABS-CBN News
- WFPs Use of Pooled Funds for Humanitarian Preparedness and Response (2009 - 2013). Terms of Reference.
- Philippines PRRO 200296 Support for Returnees and Other Conflict Affected Households in Central Minanao, and National Capacity Development in Disaster Preparedness and Response: An Operation Evaluation
- Philippines - Typhoon Haiyan: Multi-Cluster Needs Assessment, December 2013
- Profile: WFP Typhoon Haiyan Assistance
- 23 June 2014 Philippines: The Faces of Zamboanga