6 August 2010
Iodine deficiency is a major problem in Senegal where it causes birth defects in children and goitre in adults. Women salt producers are leading the charge against this form of malnutrition with the help of a WFP programme that helps them to enrich the salt they harvest with iodine and trains them as business leaders.
6 October 2009
Not too long ago Coumba Ba’s baby girl was getting weaker and weaker as diarrhoea and undernutrition sapped her energy. Nutritious food rations, supplied to her mother by WFP, appear to have put her back on course for a healthy, lively childhood.
8 November 2007
The Executive Director of the World Food Programme, Josette Sheeran, will visit west Africa 12-16 November, to highlight the need for renewed attention on the region's ‘silent emergencies’.
31 July 2007
The Honourable Josée Verner, Minister of International Cooperation and Minister for La Francophonie and Official Languages today announced that Canada will provide CAD$125 million to the WFP over the next five years for food programs for children in African schools.
- La crise alimentaire 2011/2012 à Ziguinchor au Sénégal - Le coq chante sur RFI Source: RFI
- Le coq chante sur RFI - la digue anti sel de Fayil Source: RFI
- Le champ communautaire de l'école de Keur Mandongo au Sénégal Source: RFI
- Rising temperatures devastating Africa’s small farmers Source: The Irish Times
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- 29 November 2013 Senegal: Cash Through Phone Scheme Offers Hungry More Choice
- 10 April 2013 Sahel: How Swift Action Saved Lives And Livelihoods