11 March 2010
ROME – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today said it would welcome an independent investigation into its food assistance operations in Somalia. At the same time, the agency said it would not engage in any new work with three transport contractors named in a report from the United Nations Monitoring Group on Somalia, which alleged they were involved in arms-trading.
5 January 2010
ROME -- Rising threats and attacks on humanitarian operations, as well as the imposition of a string of unacceptable demands from armed groups, have made it virtually impossible for the World Food Programme (WFP) to continue reaching up to one million people in need in southern Somalia.
24 November 2009
JOHANNESBURG – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a generous donation of R3 million (US$400,000) from the Government of South Africa, which will help the agency to feed thousands of hungry families in the Horn of Africa region.
19 November 2009
ROME – Spain’s Secretary of State for International Cooperation, Soraya Rodriguez Ramos, today announced a donation of €75 million (US$112m) to the United Nations World Food Programme in response to the critical hunger situation in the Horn of Africa.
9 June 2009
17 March 2009
This news release was issued by the Office of the United Nations Resident & Humanitarian Coordinator for Somalia.
22 January 2009
6 January 2009
The Executive Director of WFP condemned the killing, today, by gunmen of one of the agency’s staff members in southern Somalia, and urged all parties to the worsening conflict there to protect humanitarian workers.
22 October 2008
WFP is to begin delivering emergency supplies of a highly nutritious, peanut-based food to Somalia in a bid to combat the growing threat of severe malnutrition amongst children in the war-ravaged nation.
25 September 2008
WFP today welcomed the decision by Canada to extend its naval mission protecting ships carrying humanitarian aid to Somalia for a further month.
- Joint appeal on Kenya refugee resourcing Source: Al Jazeera
- Aid reaches storm-ravaged Somali region Source: Al Jazeera
- UN Envoy:Somalia on verge of 'great things,' more international assistance needed to secure gains Source: UN News Centre
- PICTURES: Surviving camp life in Mogadishu Source: BBC News
- Somalia 'New Deal': EU pledge at Brussels conference Source: BBC News
- 3 December 2013 WFP Delivers Life-Saving Aid To Cyclone-Hit Puntland, Somalia
- 6 February 2013 WFP Food Assistance Returns To Kismayo