19 October 2007
World Food Programme Executive Director, Josette Sheeran, has condemned the continued detention of WFP staff member Idris Osman, who was seized by armed men on Wednesday.
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
7 October 2007
The heads of two United Nations agencies have made a joint call for concerted and coordinated international action to address the threat of piracy and armed robbery against ships in waters off the coast of Somalia
26 September 2007
WFP has thanked France for its proposal to provide naval escorts to protect ships carrying food off the Horn of Africa from pirate attacks.
28 August 2007
WFP has increased the number of people it aims to feed in Somalia this year to 1.2 million and appealed for urgent contributions of US$22.4 million to avoid a looming break in food supplies.
5 August 2007
WFP has said that the first distributions of WFP food assistance has started in Mogadishu to 16,000 residents and people returning to districts most heavily damaged by the worst fighting in the Somali capital in 16 years.
17 July 2007
WFP has appealed for urgent contributions to avoid breaks in its supply line of food assistance to Somalia because of forecasts of crop failure.
22 June 2007
WFP today appealed to Kenyan authorities to allow food assistance on 140 trucks to cross into Somalia.
21 May 2007
WFP today appealed for high-level international action to stamp out piracy in waters off Somalia, warning that the flow of relief supplies to the country was under severe threat.
- WFP: 1.6 Million in Need of Food Aid in Somalia Source: VOA News
- Somalia: UN Relief Official Cautions Against Complacency On Food Security Source: allAfrica
- As peace returns to Somali town, UN food relief agency resumes assistance Source: UN News Centre
- Food shortage crisis in Dadaab refugee camp Source: ABC News (Australia)
- UN: Millions in Somalia Need Aid Source: VOA News
- 6 February 2013 WFP Food Assistance Returns To Kismayo
- 16 October 2012 Somalia: Livestock Farmer Begins To Recover From Drought