1 May 2012
JUBA -- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) says that recent fighting at South Sudan's northern border is threatening to push more people of the region into hunger.
8 February 2012
FAO-WFP report says poor harvests, price hikes, conflict and displacement worsen hunger
31 January 2012
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has scaled up food assistance to reach 80,000 people affected by the recent escalation of inter-communal violence in Jonglei State, in the eastern part of South Sudan.
15 December 2011
WFP Country Director Chris Nikoi: "A gathering storm of hunger is approaching South Sudan, caused by crop failure and market disruption. Food prices have already doubled or tripled in some areas, leaving hundreds of thousands of children vulnerable to malnutrition at a key developmental stage of their young lives.”
6 October 2011
Construction of two new roads linking local farmers to markets has been inaugurated this week in Lakes State as part of a three-year partnership between the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and the South Sudan Ministry of Transport to build a total of 500 km of feeder roads to help boost agriculture development in the newly independent country.
17 June 2011
It is the height of the hunger season in Sudan and the violence that has engulfed South Kordofan is hindering WFP’s efforts to reach hundreds of thousands of people in need of food assistance. As the security situation in South Kordofan state deteriorates, I would like to echo the UN Secretary General’s deep concern about the escalation in the conflict.
24 April 2011
ROME -- It is with profound sadness that the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today confirmed the death of one of its staff members in a fatal attack in Southern Sudan.
- Worsening food crisis in South Sudan’s swamplands Source: IRIN News
- UN expects ceasefire deal to allow food deliveries in South Sudan Source: Xinhua
- Over 10,000 South Sudanese flee into in Kenya: UN Source: Xinhua
- WFP official says more food aid desperately needed to feed thousands in South Sudan Source: The Telegraph (UK)
- Up to 10,000 South Sudanese refugees have crossed into Sudan: UNHCR Source: Xinhua/ Global Times
- 26 February 2014 South Sudan: WFP Reaching More People Every Day
- 17 February 2014 South Sudan: WFP Distributes Food to Returning Families
- 12 February 2014 Family Flees To Uganda To Escape Violence In South Sudan
- 12 February 2014 South Sudan: WFP Begins Food Distribution In Bentiu