31 December 2012
Floods in the past two months following a long drought have left Sri Lanka’s Northern and Eastern provinces reeling, with tens of thousands of people displaced, thousands of houses damaged or destroyed, and stretches of agricultural land devastated.
21 December 2012
The World Food Programme (WFP) hopes to expand its ongoing cash/voucher (C/V) programme across northern Sri Lanka, allowing thousands of recent returnees to diversify their diets. “More than 15,000 men, women and children have so far benefited from the programme in Jaffna,” Mads Lofvall, WFP acting country representative, told IRIN. “With the expansion we hope to reach more than the currently planned beneficiary caseload - 45,000 over the next two years.”
8 October 2011
The sun’s rays bouncing off the A9 highway give it a shining glow. Once known as Sri Lanka’s ‘highway of death’, the road has come a long way from those macabre associations. (..) Quoting the World Food Programme (WFP)’s research, the agency said that nearly half the population of the Vanni is currently facing moderate to severe food insecurity. "With the scaling down of food assistance, it is likely that food security conditions will deteriorate in the coming months in the (Vanni’s interior Mulaithivu District)," the agency added.
4 October 2011
Sri Lanka is to begin rice exports to emerging markets and the World Food Programme (WFP) for the first time, officials said here on Tuesday.
29 September 2011
Brohier also highlighted on the partnership between TNT Express and the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in their joint effort to fight hunger. This partnership is known as 'Moving the World' and is primarily focused on providing meals to feed childre in various schools across Sri Lanka.
27 July 2011
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) yesterday donated nineteen field vehicles under its capacity development and handover strategy to strengthen government counterpart operational capacities.
20 July 2011
The World Food Programme (WFP) is facing a shortfall of 40 percent of resources to meet the food needs of around 300,000 resettled and displaced people in the North, officials said WFP Country Director Adnan Khan told the Daily Mirror in an email interaction that the project for the provision of food aid to these people would continue till the end of this year.
27 May 2011
The perception on World Food Programme (WFP) is generally known world over as a distributor of food to the needy. It is an organization which gets food and supplies where it is needed mostly in emergencies, saves the lives of victims of war, in civil conflicts, natural disasters and help to rebuild their lives.
6 May 2011
Sri Lankans are experiencing steep increases in two staple food sources, rice and wheat, because of severe floods and global shortages, says the UN. A World Food Programme (WFP) analysis states that rice and wheat prices increased by 30 and 26 percent respectively on a year ago, making Sri Lanka one of the worst affected by rising food prices in South Asia.
11 April 2011
Donors had pledged 42 percent of the UN flash appeal made for the reconstruction of the areas affected by the floods in January and February, officials said yesterday. After the second wave of floods, the UN revised its flash appeal to US $ 44 million.(..)Commenting on the financial situation at the World Food Programme (WFP), he said that 80 percent of funds required had been pledged.
- Sri Lanka: Back-to-back disasters compound north’s difficulties Source: IRIN
- Sri Lanka: WFP eyes cash/voucher expansion Source: IRIN
- Struggling Beside the Shining New Road Source: Inter Press Service (IPS)
- Sri Lanka to export rice to emerging markets and WFP Source: China Daily
- TNT Express Sri Lanka donates shoes to school children Source: Middle East North Africa Financial Network
- Sri Lanka - Food Security and Nutrition among the Tuberculosis Infected Patients, August 2014
- Sri Lanka - Rapid Drought Impact Assessment: Food Security and Livelihoods Affected by Erratic Weather, April 2014
- Protecting Asia’s Most Vulnerable - WFP and Social Safety Nets in Asia
- Building Resilience on a Fragile Continent - WFP and Climate Change in Asia
- 19 October 2012 Sri Lanka Drought: Difficult Times In The North And The East
- 10 April 2012 Sri Lanka: First Cash Voucher Programme
- 12 December 2011 Sri Lanka: High Food Prices - A View From Batticaloa Market
- 12 December 2011 Sri Lanka: School Feeding Encourages Students To Stay In School