28 March 2011
The UN has cut down its flash appeal to US $ 43 mn from the original 51 mn for rebuilding after the two waves of floods in January and February, officials said yesterday.(..)Asked about the funding situation at the World Food Programme (WFP) to give food assistance to the flood victims, he replied, “We have received US $ 5.5 million out of the required US $ 8.5 million. Some more donations are in the pipeline. If we get them, we will have 90 percent of our fund requirements fulfilled. We are optimistic in this regard.”
18 February 2011
The United Nations said Friday that 6,600 people are still displaced because of recent floods in Sri Lanka, and the economic impact of the disaster remains severe. (..) The World Food Programme continues to feed some 192,000 people in need of emergency aid.
16 February 2011
The World Food Programme (WFP) yesterday received 700,000 Euros, (approximately US$ 1 million) as a donation from the European Commission's Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection department (ECHO) to provide urgent food supplies to communities affected by recent monsoon floods in Sri Lanka.
15 February 2011
Sri Lanka's flood victims, some of whom were recovering from a recent war will get 105 million rupees (700,000 euros) of food aid from the European Union through the World Food Program. "The needs of the flood-affected communities are great and WFP still faces considerable shortfalls in our funding" WFP’s country representative in Sri Lanka, Adnan Khan said in a statement.
13 February 2011
WFP Country Director Adnan Khan in an interview with the Sunday Observer said the organisation was closely working with the Government to help feed the flood-displaced in five of the worst affected districts, Trincomalee, Batticaloa, Vavuniya, Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa.
11 February 2011
Sri Lanka will lose over one million tons from its upcoming paddy harvest due to recent flooding, officials say. (..) Rice, a staple part of the Sri Lankan diet, is included in rations being delivered to 500,000 flood victims by WFP as immediate assistance. “We have made a request to the government to import rice for WFP rations,” Devesh Shankhdhar, WFP’s head of procurement in Sri Lanka, said.
8 February 2011
Two rounds of flooding in Sri Lanka since January have destroyed at least 35 percent of the staple rice crop, the Agriculture Ministry said on Tuesday, raising the risk of food price inflation. (..) Sri Lanka plans to replant as quickly as possible, and after the first wave of floods in January sought World Food Programme assistance to acquire more fast-growing seed stocks.
8 February 2011
Fresh floods have hit Sri Lanka just weeks after large swathes of the South Asian island nation were inundated by a deluge caused by torrential rainfall, the United Nations reported today, saying that over a million people already weakened by the initial flooding are affected. (..) The UN World Food Programme (WFP) said it distributed food aid to 326,000 people last weekend and is aiming to feed half a million of those affected. The agency provided rations to 500,000 people affected by the first wave of floods in five districts last month, WFP spokesperson Emilia Casella told reporters in Geneva.
7 February 2011
The Sri Lankan Government with the assistance of the World Food Programme has decided to implement the provision of a flood relief package to be distributed weekly for the next six months. The distribution will commence from Friday.
24 January 2011
Food security and livelihoods have been severely hit in Sri Lanka, specialists say, after heavy rains caused widespread flooding and drove hundreds of thousands from their homes, left 43 people dead, and damaged or destroyed close to 30,000 homes. According to the UN, agricultural production is the main source of livelihood in the affected area and this season's rice harvest has been badly damaged, leading to increased food insecurity. The World Food Programme (WFP) estimates about 500,000 residents are food-insecure.
- Sri Lanka: Back-to-back disasters compound north’s difficulties Source: IRIN
- Sri Lanka: WFP eyes cash/voucher expansion Source: IRIN
- Struggling Beside the Shining New Road Source: Inter Press Service (IPS)
- Sri Lanka to export rice to emerging markets and WFP Source: China Daily
- TNT Express Sri Lanka donates shoes to school children Source: Middle East North Africa Financial Network
- Sri Lanka - Food Security and Nutrition among the Tuberculosis Infected Patients, August 2014
- Sri Lanka - Rapid Drought Impact Assessment: Food Security and Livelihoods Affected by Erratic Weather, April 2014
- Protecting Asia’s Most Vulnerable - WFP and Social Safety Nets in Asia
- Building Resilience on a Fragile Continent - WFP and Climate Change in Asia
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists
- 19 October 2012 Sri Lanka Drought: Difficult Times In The North And The East
- 10 April 2012 Sri Lanka: First Cash Voucher Programme
- 12 December 2011 Sri Lanka: High Food Prices - A View From Batticaloa Market