14 March 2014
COLOMBO – The Government of Sri Lanka today delivered the first part of a donation of 50,000 metric tons of rice, valued at about US$22 million, to the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) for distribution to people in need in Sri Lanka and ten other countries in Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
1 August 2013
COLOMBO – Nearly 170 schools in Jaffna, Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu in Northern Sri Lanka have received new kitchen utensils, bowls and spoons from the German Development Cooperation (GIZ) to supplement the school meals programmes implemented by the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP). The grant of Sri Lankan Rupees 2.4 million (US$ 18,200) is part of GIZ’s efforts to help reintegrate internally displaced people in the Vanni Region, and will benefit more than 32,000 children.
29 May 2012
COLOMBO – More than one thousand school children from forty different schools in northern Sri Lanka have today received US$ 35,000 worth of sporting equipment thanks to the generous donation from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to the United Nations World Food Programme.
19 April 2012
COLOMBO – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a US$2.2 million donation of white rice and beans from the Government of Brazil.
20 March 2012
COLOMBO – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed its first ever donation from the Government of Sri Lanka to food operations abroad – a consignment of white rice worth US$4 million for WFP’s programmes in the Horn of Africa.
27 May 2011
COLOMBO – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has today donated a number of items, including computers software and motorbikes to help support the post-harvest and local food production activities of the Ministries of Agriculture and Irrigation Water Resource Management.
16 February 2011
COLOMBO –The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a 700,000 Euros, (approximately U$ 1 million) donation from the European Commission's Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection department (ECHO) to provide urgent food supplies to communities affected by recent monsoon floods.
9 February 2011
For the second time in less than a month, battering monsoon rains have forced tens of thousands of Sri Lankans to flee their homes across vast swathes of the country, and the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is now delivering life-saving food supplies to 500,000 people.
8 February 2011
COLOMBO – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is scaling up emergency food assistance to about 500,000 people in districts of Sri Lanka that have been hardest hit by a second wave of flooding within a month.
7 June 2010
ROME– Tens of thousands of people yesterday took to the streets in cities around the world to show their support for the work of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in the fight against global hunger.
- Sri Lanka: Back-to-back disasters compound north’s difficulties Source: IRIN
- Sri Lanka: WFP eyes cash/voucher expansion Source: IRIN
- Struggling Beside the Shining New Road Source: Inter Press Service (IPS)
- Sri Lanka to export rice to emerging markets and WFP Source: China Daily
- TNT Express Sri Lanka donates shoes to school children Source: Middle East North Africa Financial Network
- Sri Lanka - Food Security and Nutrition among the Tuberculosis Infected Patients, August 2014
- Sri Lanka - Rapid Drought Impact Assessment: Food Security and Livelihoods Affected by Erratic Weather, April 2014
- Protecting Asia’s Most Vulnerable - WFP and Social Safety Nets in Asia
- Building Resilience on a Fragile Continent - WFP and Climate Change in Asia
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists
- 19 October 2012 Sri Lanka Drought: Difficult Times In The North And The East
- 10 April 2012 Sri Lanka: First Cash Voucher Programme
- 12 December 2011 Sri Lanka: High Food Prices - A View From Batticaloa Market