23 April 2005
Banda Aceh - As Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi tours this disaster-hit zone of Indonesia to observe Japan\'s humanitarian aid at work, WFP hails his country\'s generous support of the food aid agency\'s tsunami emergency operation.
4 April 2005
Bangkok - One hundred days after the 26 December tsunami ripped through the Indian Ocean, WFP is back in emergency mode to get urgently needed relief to more than 200,000 victims of Indonesia\'s latest earthquake.
17 March 2005
Colombo - WFP welcomes a vital contribution of wheat flour from the Government of Hungary for the agency\'s tsunami relief operations in Sri Lanka.
16 February 2005
Colombo Two leading U.S. professional football players, New York Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer and Kansas City Chiefs fullback Tony Richardson, kick off a four-day visit to tsunami-ravaged Sri Lanka to work with WFP on its emergency operation to feed hungry families there.
16 January 2005
Colombo WFP Executive-Director James Morris warns that the tsunami crisis in Sri Lanka has clearly made a "bad situation worse" for vulnerable families and children, and he is particularly concerned about its effect on malnourished children.
31 December 2004
New York - At the end of a year marked by tragic humanitarian crises ranging from conflict in the Darfur region of western Sudan to the carnage caused by a Tsunami in Asia, the head of WFP pays tribute to donors\' generosity but cautions that even more support is vital for the coming year.
28 December 2004
Rome - WFP sends its first truckloads of relief food to 12 districts in Sri Lanka devastated by the massive tidal surges sweeping the Indian Ocean region. The 168 tonnes of commodities are part of a WFP stockpile in the country of more than 4,000 tonnes of rice, wheatflour, lentils and sugar -- enough to provide an emergency ration to 500,000 people for two weeks.
- Sri Lanka: Back-to-back disasters compound north’s difficulties Source: IRIN
- Sri Lanka: WFP eyes cash/voucher expansion Source: IRIN
- Struggling Beside the Shining New Road Source: Inter Press Service (IPS)
- Sri Lanka to export rice to emerging markets and WFP Source: China Daily
- TNT Express Sri Lanka donates shoes to school children Source: Middle East North Africa Financial Network
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists
- 19 October 2012 Sri Lanka Drought: Difficult Times In The North And The East
- 10 April 2012 Sri Lanka: First Cash Voucher Programme
- 12 December 2011 Sri Lanka: High Food Prices - A View From Batticaloa Market