16 February 2005
Colombo Two leading U.S. professional football players, New York Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer and Kansas City Chiefs fullback Tony Richardson, kick off a four-day visit to tsunami-ravaged Sri Lanka to work with WFP on its emergency operation to feed hungry families there.
16 January 2005
Colombo WFP Executive-Director James Morris warns that the tsunami crisis in Sri Lanka has clearly made a "bad situation worse" for vulnerable families and children, and he is particularly concerned about its effect on malnourished children.
31 December 2004
New York - At the end of a year marked by tragic humanitarian crises ranging from conflict in the Darfur region of western Sudan to the carnage caused by a Tsunami in Asia, the head of WFP pays tribute to donors\' generosity but cautions that even more support is vital for the coming year.
28 December 2004
Rome - WFP sends its first truckloads of relief food to 12 districts in Sri Lanka devastated by the massive tidal surges sweeping the Indian Ocean region. The 168 tonnes of commodities are part of a WFP stockpile in the country of more than 4,000 tonnes of rice, wheatflour, lentils and sugar -- enough to provide an emergency ration to 500,000 people for two weeks.
- Sri Lanka: Back-to-back disasters compound north’s difficulties Source: IRIN
- Sri Lanka: WFP eyes cash/voucher expansion Source: IRIN
- Struggling Beside the Shining New Road Source: Inter Press Service (IPS)
- Sri Lanka to export rice to emerging markets and WFP Source: China Daily
- TNT Express Sri Lanka donates shoes to school children Source: Middle East North Africa Financial Network
- 19 October 2012 Sri Lanka Drought: Difficult Times In The North And The East
- 10 April 2012 Sri Lanka: First Cash Voucher Programme
- 12 December 2011 Sri Lanka: High Food Prices - A View From Batticaloa Market
- 12 December 2011 Sri Lanka: School Feeding Encourages Students To Stay In School