3 July 2009
WFP and its humanitarian partners recently provided another lifeline to tens of thousands of people who have fled the recent conflict in Sri Lanka. Thanks to a coordinated initiative between the government, NGOs and the business community, three of Sri Lanka’s largest bakeries baked fresh bread for the hungry displaced using ingredients from WFP’s food basket.
5 June 2009
In recent days, it has become easier for WFP staff to monitor food distributions in the government-run camps housing people displaced by the last wave of fighting in Sri Lanka. Our country director, Adnan Khan, explains that WFP is now feeding 290,000 people in the camps.
19 May 2009
WFP is boosting food stocks and supplying nutritionally-rich food for women and children in order to meet the needs of IDPs displaced in the final days of Sri Lanka’s 26-year civil war. UN Chief Visits Sri Lanka
15 May 2009
While continuing to feed almost 200,000 people displaced by fighting in northern Sri Lanka, WFP has now started providing cooked meals to the thousands of Sri Lankans who are reaching the town of Omanthai from the conflict zone.
30 April 2009
WFP is now feeding nearly 190,000 internally displaced persons in the northern Vavuniya and Jaffna districts. An estimated 120,000 of these IDPs arrived over the last ten days after escaping the conflict zone in Mallaitivu.
23 April 2009
WFP has pre-positioned food in the northern Vavuniya district of Sri Lanka to meet the needs of the tens of thousands of people who are fleeing the ‘safe zone’ along the north eastern coast of Mullaitivu.
3 April 2009
“This is the largest shipment we have sent and it comes at a crucial time for these people.” -- Adnan Khan, WFP Representative and Country Director in Sri Lanka.
13 March 2009
Thirty million people assisted, 30 years of cooperation, US$30 million in donations - a photo exhibition held in Beijing offered a graphic chronicle of WFP's collaboration with the Chinese government in the fight against hunger and poverty.
27 February 2009
A new sea route to deliver WFP relief to people in Sri Lanka is helping efforts to reach hungry people displaced by the recent escalation of hostilities in the northern Vanni region.
6 February 2009
Despite very limited access to the displaced people in the northern Vanni region, WFP has organized 11 convoys since September and is looking for other innovative ways to deliver vital food assistance to those in need.
- Sri Lanka: Back-to-back disasters compound north’s difficulties Source: IRIN
- Sri Lanka: WFP eyes cash/voucher expansion Source: IRIN
- Struggling Beside the Shining New Road Source: Inter Press Service (IPS)
- Sri Lanka to export rice to emerging markets and WFP Source: China Daily
- TNT Express Sri Lanka donates shoes to school children Source: Middle East North Africa Financial Network
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists
- 19 October 2012 Sri Lanka Drought: Difficult Times In The North And The East
- 10 April 2012 Sri Lanka: First Cash Voucher Programme
- 12 December 2011 Sri Lanka: High Food Prices - A View From Batticaloa Market