14 February 2007
From Afghanistan to Haiti, WFP is on the frontline of crises across the globe. Find out the latest from these crisis hotspots with WFP's operation update.
11 September 2006
The total number of people newly displaced by the recent fighting between Sri Lankan government armed forces and the Tamil Tigers (LTTE – Liberation Tigers of Tamil Ealam) is estimated at 240,000 as of 4 September.
8 September 2006
Violence has dogged northern Sri Lanka for some twenty years as the government and Tamil Tiger rebels clash. Many people have been internally displaced and driven into camps. "Our future is a big question mark," one woman tells WFP spokesperson, Sandra Bisin.
22 August 2006
Conflict returned to Sri Lanka in early August, with continuous fighting reported in the areas of Jaffna to the north and Trincomalee in the east. WFP is assisting those displaced.
1 December 2005
1 December 2005
13 September 2005
6 April 2005
In an article first published in the Baseline magazine, John McCormick explains how WFP had technology on the ground within 48 hours to help rush food to the victims of Asia's tsunami.
- Sri Lanka: Back-to-back disasters compound north’s difficulties Source: IRIN
- Sri Lanka: WFP eyes cash/voucher expansion Source: IRIN
- Struggling Beside the Shining New Road Source: Inter Press Service (IPS)
- Sri Lanka to export rice to emerging markets and WFP Source: China Daily
- TNT Express Sri Lanka donates shoes to school children Source: Middle East North Africa Financial Network
- 19 October 2012 Sri Lanka Drought: Difficult Times In The North And The East
- 10 April 2012 Sri Lanka: First Cash Voucher Programme
- 12 December 2011 Sri Lanka: High Food Prices - A View From Batticaloa Market
- 12 December 2011 Sri Lanka: School Feeding Encourages Students To Stay In School