31 March 2009
WFP is continuing operations in Sudan’s Darfur region to address the gaps in humanitarian assistance left by the expulsion of 13 international NGOs by the Government of Sudan.
5 March 2009
Sudan is one of WFP’s largest humanitarian operations in the world. In 2009, we aim to provide food assistance to 5.9 million people in the country, around 15 percent of the population.
Read WFP news update
23 June 2008
WFP has warned that millions of displaced Sudanese in Darfur are to face their third month of ration cuts as violence and attacks on trucking convoys continue to disrupt the flow of food assistance to the region.
10 May 2008
The lives of Marayam and other women in her village have improved enormously since WFP helped the villagers excavate a nearby “haffir” – a traditional hand-dug reservoir which collects rain and holds up to 12,000 cubic metres of clean water.
11 December 2007
Countries where violence persists and populations live in fear. People in Hunger's Global Hotspots don't know what tomorrow will bring and they often have to rely on WFP for their next meal.
26 October 2007
Attacks on convoys are always a big threat in Darfur and pose a serious risk to WFP during its Sudan operations. The humanitarian community is hoping peace talks in Libya which are set for 27th October will make it safer to provide assistance to the poor and hungry relying on their help.
28 September 2007
WFP has welcomed US government contributions in September totaling US$110.7 million for the hungry poor in 11 countries from Latin America to Asia. Nearly half the resources were targeted to Sudan, home to WFP’s single-largest operation in the world.
19 September 2007
From West to East, some 1.5 million people have been caught in Africa's worst floods in decades. Use our quick guide to see how WFP is responding, region by region, country by country.
7 September 2007
Rugby-World-Cup-winning captain Nick Farr-Jones describes how sports people around the world should have a natural empathy towards hungry people caught up in the world's humanitarian crises. This editorial first appeared in the South China Morning Post
31 August 2007
WFP hs welcomed major US government contributions for August totaling US$69 million, aimed at feeding people in seven countries confronting humanitarian challenges ranging from severe drought to civil conflict.
- 20,000 believed displaced after unrest in Sudan's Darfur Source: AFP/ GlobalPost
- Conflict in Darfur threatens humanitarian assistance in Sudan: WFP Source: Xinhua News Agency
- 'Real peace' elusive in Sudan's Darfur 10 years on Source: The Daily Star (Lebanon) / AFP
- Sudan Launches Major Dam to Boost Agricultural Production, Investment Source: The New York Times
- South Sudan's Aid Workers Concerned About Flood of Sudanese Refugees Source: VOA
- 20 February 2014 A Long Journey To Deliver Food To Displaced People In North Darfur
- 2 August 2013 Diary from Darfur: Episode 4
- 30 July 2013 Diary From Darfur: Episode 3
- 23 July 2013 Ten years into the Darfur conflict (For The Media)