11 October 2006
By providing seeds, tools and food rations, WFP's "Food for Seed Protection" helps Sudanese farmers grow crops which enable them to face the precarious "hunger season" and gain some independence. Farmers tell Emilia Casella how the project makes a difference to their lives.
5 October 2006
The WFP mission in Darfur has received a welcome boost with two significant donations from the European Commission.
1 September 2006
With several of its refugee operations threatened by severe funding difficulties earlier this year, WFP has welcomed a cash donation of US$11.5 million from the US government’s Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration.
28 July 2006
WFP today welcomed an announcement by the Government of Japan to donate US$17.3 million (JPY 2.01 billion) to assist the people of four African countries that are currently ravaged by conflict or drought.
15 June 2006
Ask most people where the crises are in Sudan, and they will say Darfur and the south. But the east of the country is also living its own silent crisis, which has been largely ignored by the world.
23 May 2006
Friends of the World Food Programme welcomed a $1 million gift this week from Pam Omidyar to support WFP’s food aid operations in Darfur, Sudan.
22 May 2006
WFP has welcomed a private donation of US$500,000 from the United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan for WFP’s emergency operation to provide food assistance to 2.7 million people in Darfur.
25 April 2006
Women in east Sudan are challenging traditional tribal views that education is only for boys and men, and are learning to read and write in a WFP-organised programme.
16 January 2006
Sudanese displaced by the country's 21-year civil war have started their long and often dangerous journey home
22 December 2005
- How equal rights boost food security Source: IRIN News
- 20,000 believed displaced after unrest in Sudan's Darfur Source: AFP/ GlobalPost
- Conflict in Darfur threatens humanitarian assistance in Sudan: WFP Source: Xinhua News Agency
- 'Real peace' elusive in Sudan's Darfur 10 years on Source: The Daily Star (Lebanon) / AFP
- Sudan Launches Major Dam to Boost Agricultural Production, Investment Source: The New York Times
- 25 February 2015 WFP Food Vouchers, A Double Benefit In West Darfur