24 April 2012
DAMASCUS – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is scaling up food assistance to reach a quarter million people by the end of this month inside Syria with plans to double the caseload to reach 500,000 people in the coming weeks.
7 December 2009
As hunger reaches unprecedented levels, striking more than a billion people for the first time in history, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is deploying technology in new ways to help get food onto the plates of the hungry, while supporting local markets.
27 October 2009
2 October 2008
WFP and the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) began a massive distribution of food and other items on Sunday to over three times more vulnerable Iraqi refugees than assisted in the past.
27 November 2007
WFP Executive Director Josette Sheeran will travel to the Middle East this week for her first visit to the region, where WFP has projects to create assets for the poorest and most vulnerable people in Egypt and to provide food assistance for tens of thousands of Iraqi refugees in Syria.
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
13 March 2007
WFP has appealed for donations for a new operation to provide food assistance for tens of thousands of the poorest Iraqi refugees who are now in Syria after fleeing escalating violence in their own country.
12 March 2007
The United Nations World Food Programme today announced that it will scale up efforts to provide basic food assistance to the most vulnerable Iraqi refugees in Syria and called on the international community to support its growing operation there.
16 August 2006
WFP has said that to facilitate the mass return of Lebanese who had taken refuge in Syria, it has been providing bread and biscuits to the thousands of people heading over the border back into Lebanon.
- Northeast Syria faces food crisis, but access eases elsewhere: WFP Source: Reuters
- 'Serious funding shortfall in Syria,' says UN agency Source: BBC News
- Food rations distributed to besieged Damascus areas Source: Global Post/ AFP
- U.N. Orders Both Sides in Syria to Allow Humanitarian Aid Source: The New York Times
- Harper offers new aid in Jordan, but sees no end to flow of Syrian refugees Source: The Globe and Mail
- 13 February 2014 Central African Republic: Airlifts Deliver Critical Food Assistance
- 13 February 2014 WFP Food Distribution In Homs (For The Media)
- 12 February 2014 Syria: Aid Convoys Bring Relief To Besieged Old City of Homs