27 October 2009
2 October 2008
WFP and the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) began a massive distribution of food and other items on Sunday to over three times more vulnerable Iraqi refugees than assisted in the past.
27 November 2007
WFP Executive Director Josette Sheeran will travel to the Middle East this week for her first visit to the region, where WFP has projects to create assets for the poorest and most vulnerable people in Egypt and to provide food assistance for tens of thousands of Iraqi refugees in Syria.
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
13 March 2007
WFP has appealed for donations for a new operation to provide food assistance for tens of thousands of the poorest Iraqi refugees who are now in Syria after fleeing escalating violence in their own country.
12 March 2007
The United Nations World Food Programme today announced that it will scale up efforts to provide basic food assistance to the most vulnerable Iraqi refugees in Syria and called on the international community to support its growing operation there.
16 August 2006
WFP has said that to facilitate the mass return of Lebanese who had taken refuge in Syria, it has been providing bread and biscuits to the thousands of people heading over the border back into Lebanon.
26 July 2006
WFP today dispatched the first UN convoy with food and medical supplies from Beirut to the southern Lebanese port city of Tyre, one of the hardest hit areas now home to thousands of displaced people.
24 July 2006
Following the arrival on Sunday of WFP’s first shipment of humanitarian assistance in Lebanon, today the agency launched an emergency operation that will reach over 300,000 people, including 50,000 people who have fled across the border to Syria.
- Food rations distributed to besieged Damascus areas Source: Global Post/ AFP
- U.N. Orders Both Sides in Syria to Allow Humanitarian Aid Source: The New York Times
- Harper offers new aid in Jordan, but sees no end to flow of Syrian refugees Source: The Globe and Mail
- Iran ready to help UN send aid to Syrian people Source: Press TV
- In pictures: In Syria, delivering relief among the chaos is a tall order Source: The Global and Mail
- 13 February 2014 Central African Republic: Airlifts Deliver Critical Food Assistance
- 13 February 2014 WFP Food Distribution In Homs (For The Media)
- 12 February 2014 Syria: Aid Convoys Bring Relief To Besieged Old City of Homs