7 December 2009
As hunger reaches unprecedented levels, striking more than a billion people for the first time in history, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is deploying technology in new ways to help get food onto the plates of the hungry, while supporting local markets.
27 October 2009
2 October 2008
WFP and the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) began a massive distribution of food and other items on Sunday to over three times more vulnerable Iraqi refugees than assisted in the past.
27 November 2007
WFP Executive Director Josette Sheeran will travel to the Middle East this week for her first visit to the region, where WFP has projects to create assets for the poorest and most vulnerable people in Egypt and to provide food assistance for tens of thousands of Iraqi refugees in Syria.
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
13 March 2007
WFP has appealed for donations for a new operation to provide food assistance for tens of thousands of the poorest Iraqi refugees who are now in Syria after fleeing escalating violence in their own country.
12 March 2007
The United Nations World Food Programme today announced that it will scale up efforts to provide basic food assistance to the most vulnerable Iraqi refugees in Syria and called on the international community to support its growing operation there.
16 August 2006
WFP has said that to facilitate the mass return of Lebanese who had taken refuge in Syria, it has been providing bread and biscuits to the thousands of people heading over the border back into Lebanon.
26 July 2006
WFP today dispatched the first UN convoy with food and medical supplies from Beirut to the southern Lebanese port city of Tyre, one of the hardest hit areas now home to thousands of displaced people.
- Gunfire Forces UN Agency To Suspend Food Delivery To Beseiged Palestinian Refugees In Syria Source: Shanghai Daily/ Xinhua
- Aleppo School Bombing Condemned By U.N. Source: Al Jazeera
- Diplomatic Efforts On Syria Have Failed, U.N. Chiefs Say Source: New York Times
- All Parties In Syria Blocking Aid, Says Ban Ki-moon Source: BBC News
- Lebanon registers 1 million Syrian refugees Source: Mail Online
- 30 September 2014 Syria Funding Crisis: Help Us Help Them
- 10 September 2014 The Lives Of Syrian Refugees In Bekaa Valley
- 18 August 2014 The Life Of A WFP Aid Worker At Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley
- 21 July 2014 Food For Syria - Behind The Scenes