19 May 2011
The coastal town of Lattakia, in Syria, is home to thousands of Iraqi refugees, many of whom receive food aid through WFP’s new Electronic Voucher System (EVS). In recent weeks, Syria has also been home to an escalating wave of civil unrest. And yet, despite all the chaos, the system has continued to work.
28 October 2009
A pilot project in Damascus has begun distributing WFP food vouchers in the form of mobile phone text messages to Iraqi refugees. It’s believed to be the first such scheme in the world.
26 May 2009
Two Iraqi refugee households in the Syrian capital Damascus recently received an early morning visit from the Arab world’s young film star and WFP celebrity partner Hend Sabry.
15 April 2008
WFP Ambassador Against Hunger Mahmoud Yassin has called on donors to provide urgent funding now to enable WFP to continue its operation to provide food assistance to tens of thousands displaced Iraqis in Syria after early June.
12 December 2007
Carla Van Kampen decided to combine her love of food and experience as a journalist with her work at WFP to write a cook book of recipes from WFP’s field offices. The result is "What the World Eats: A Collection of Everyday Recipes from the United Nations World Food Programme".
18 June 2007
WFP has thanked the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for 720 metric tons of dates donated to support WFP’s beneficiaries in Syria.
- Gunfire Forces UN Agency To Suspend Food Delivery To Beseiged Palestinian Refugees In Syria Source: Shanghai Daily/ Xinhua
- Aleppo School Bombing Condemned By U.N. Source: Al Jazeera
- Diplomatic Efforts On Syria Have Failed, U.N. Chiefs Say Source: New York Times
- All Parties In Syria Blocking Aid, Says Ban Ki-moon Source: BBC News
- Lebanon registers 1 million Syrian refugees Source: Mail Online
- 10 September 2014 The Lives Of Syrian Refugees In Bekaa Valley
- 18 August 2014 The Life Of A WFP Aid Worker At Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley
- 21 July 2014 Food For Syria - Behind The Scenes