28 May 2009
Tajikistan, which has 860,000 hectares of agricultural land according to the World Resources Institute, is prone to seasonal floods and mudslides. However, local people say the weather this May has been exceptional. (..) Local government - in partnership with the UN World Food Programme, Save the Children and the UN Children's Fund - has been providing a limited amount of basic food supplies to affected communities, and disaster response teams have been preparing for more flooding as the downpours continue.
3 February 2009
On Monday February 2, The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and the World Food Programme (WFP) morning signed an agreement for the provision of food commodities to the most vulnerable people in Tajikistan. According to press release issued by the WFP CO Tajikistan, the value of the Japanese contribution is US$ 4.7 million and will be used to purchase some 6,000 metric tons of wheat flour and 1,200 metric tons of pulses for distribution to food-insecure people in Tajikistan through the World Food Programme activities in the country. “This contribution comes at a critical time during winter when many Tajik people face a daily dilemma deciding between spending what little money they have on food or on heating,” said Zlatan Milisic, WFP’s Country Director in Tajikistan, during the signing ceremony. The World Food Programme aims to reach almost 1.2 million vulnerable people in Tajikistan through a variety of programs with 91,394 MT of food commodities at an overall cost of US$ 81.3 million. The project started in July 2007 and will run until the end of 2009.
- WFP helps poor Tajik families Source: Central Asia Online
- Tajikistan faces food insecurity risk, WFP says Source: Central Asia Newswire
- Tajikistan: The Struggle to Build National School Feeding Source: Blogcritics
- WFP to help Tajik TB patients Source: Central Asia Online
- WFP to launch ground-breaking operation to help TB patients Source: Asia Plus (Tajikistan)
- 16 March 2012 WFP Shows Off Children's Art For Tajikistan New Year
- 5 April 2011 A very happy New Year in Rasht
- 24 February 2011 From Russia with love
- 31 July 2010 Overcoming TB in Tajikistan, with help from WFP